Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Mingy food / ming food shops. And kebabs. And bone-rice....

Despite it being bank holiday season that's not enough for some people. Lazy bastard like me. I'm pretty sure we've just had 3 bank holidays recently but I woke up this morning feeling like a day off. I guess it's been an active weekend and I needed wanted some time out while everyone else was at work and unlikely to distract me. Ever feel like that?

Have you ever heard the word(s) ming/mingy? I'll go google it and see how common it is-back in a second...

OK, google gives 82000 results for "mingy". By comparison, "crap food" gives 18 million results! I guess "mingy" isn't a common word. I use it all the time and although my Australian friends had never heard it before meeting me, they now use it all the time too. It's a contagious word.

Just checked some online dictionaries and they make reference to it meaning tight, mean, miserly, etc. To me, "ming" is just a negative word. I've probably used these phrases over the last 24 hours:

"That sandwich was minging" - "That sandwich was awful"
"She was a minger" - "She was ugly"
"There's a mingy smell in here" - "There's a bad smell in here"

the g is "hard". The word rhymes with "Ring".

Anyway, enough of that. The reason I ask is because I've just been out for fast food and that makes me think of mingy food. The "going out for food" gave me a couple of things to gibber about:

a) People that speak two languages fluently

b) Bone rice

To emphasise: Don't you just envy people that can speak two languages so fluently that they can instantly switch between them, even using both languages in one sentence? I'm sure you've all been to a chinese takeaway and experienced what I mean. I wish I could speak two languages like that. If I ever have a child I'll do everything I can to make sure they learn another language from a very early age.

Tonight I went to a generic fast food place. While idley musing and waiting I asked how long one of those giant elephant leg kebab things actually lasts. There was a new one on you see, and it was collosally huge. He said "about two days" and then quipped something in "foreign" to his massive-knife weilding colleague. (I'm not a xenophobe I promise, just not sure what language it was).

His colleague laughed and said "Nosey fuck eh?" and went immediately out the back as his boss started yelling at him "in foreign". Guess the downside of being so fluent is that you can switch languages too easily...

Next random ming-food thought....
The last time I was in Australia I bought some "chicken rice" from an asian food counter at a food mall. I don't know how they possibly managed it, or how I paid without noticing, but when I sat down and started eating I realised the rice was absolutely laced with shards of chicken bone. It was the most mingy thing I've every bought! Since then "Bone rice" has been an ongoing joke with tt and I. Yum yum.

I really have nothing useful or interesting to share and yet I'm going on continually.... I'll stop now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home