Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Sleep? Who needs that?! Oh gods, can't you tell it's the weekend?

Last night was pretty cool. Went to meet friend, as mentioned, and drank way too much. We went and met her worky friend and it was really odd to be back in a bar I worked in while I was a student back in 1994. Not changed much, nothing around here ever does.

We went back to her house aferwards and her father was babysitting her kid. He's an aussie and the last time I met him I'd never been to Australia. I've been a few times now and he's not been for ages. It was odd to be able to update him on things out there. He's from WA and I've spent all my time so far in Brisbane, Queensland, so it was fun to talk about the differences and similarities between the places.

He wouldn't quit calling me a "banana-bending pom" which I'm sure I should have found more insulting than I did....

He left about 2am and friend and I then proceeded to talk shit all night. How does that happen? You know the feeling when you suddenly hear the birds chirping and realise it's getting light? And you realise that if you go to bed you're going to feel really shit after just 2 hours sleep? So you decide not to bother? Well, we done that.

Once her kid got up we played swingball. They only had one proper bat so I was given a baseball bat type thing to use. Bad idea. You can imagine what happened - I totally under-estimated the ball-avoidance skills of a 5yr old and it led to this:

me: [whack!]
kid: [suddenly on the floor clutching head] "Owwwww! My head! You done that on purpose!"
me: [stifling laughter, my niece wouldn't have been floored by that and she's younger] "oh, come on, don't be silly, it can't hurt that much! Don't report me to social services or anything!"
kid: "I'm not going to tell social services, but I am going to tell mummy..."

I knew it was going to be an odd day when my friend then served breakfast and the coffee had vodka in it. 10am on saturday morning is not a time to be drinking vodka is it? I headed home shortly after that and almost immediately got a call from some other friends to go and join in a pool challenge at a local pub.

I don't often get time here, so I could hardly refuse could I? They're picking me up in 10 mins, enjoy your weekend, I'm sure I will!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home