Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Thursday, July 12, 2007

I don't want to go back to the UK

What better was to start the day the breakfast from a boulangerie? S ordered something called "Pain au Poulet" which I assumed would be diced chicken in bread. It turned out to be a big ol' hunk o' chicken concealed within a loaf of bread. More about this later. Much more.

We went and saw the sights and had a truly wonderful time. When we'd planned this back in Aus we'd not been expecting to get on quite the way we did. And since I'm already pretty "Parised out" we'd decided I'd return to the UK a day earlier than S to get more "friend and family" time. Within hours I was regretting this choice. The only thing that marred our time was the thought that I was going to have to leave S on her own to experience this wonderful city.

I left at about 3, and on the way to the airport I grabbed a bottle of wine and some cheese. I thought I was early for my flight. He he he he. I should have known better. I'm NEVER early.

After getting off the shuttle service at the wrong stop I made it to the airport. After standing politely in line for 20 minutes I realised I had no chance of reaching the head of the queue before my flight left. So I politely queue jumped. This is the fine art of waving ones ticket under the nose of the person in front while adopting the appropriate facial expression. It sounds simple but let me assure you, only years of travel can make one adept enough to be good.

For cute chicks puppy dog expressions tends to work. For minger chicks Rottweiler expression is good. For business men arrogance is a winner, for bogans "aww shit mate, I'm in the fuckin shit ere eh?" honesty seems best.

At security my wine was confiscated. Here's a tip for you: When a french official (with an Uzi) says : "I am sorry zir, but you canno take zees wine" to you don't try to be smart as say "Why? Was it a bad year?" They don't seem to have much in the way of a sense of humour.

In the evening I spoke to S, wished I was with her, and then went to see another friend.

We saw:
Sacre Coeur, Moulin Rouge, Eiffel tower, Seine, La Pyramide, The Metro, French people, friends.

1 Comments:

Blogger Two Cents said...

Well, the translation is literally "bread with chicken" so I suppose they really meant it! Too funny ;)

12:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home