Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Friday, July 06, 2007

First day in UK

The flight was fantastic. We arrived refreshed and awake. Singapore was warm and humid, a nice change after the recent cold spell in Brissy. Naturally, drama occurred - I realised in Singapore that I hadn't printed the car hire voucher for our arrival in the UK. So I went online and realise they hadn't even confirmed it. I sent an email warning them I'd be collecting it in a few hours.

We arrived in UK and got through customs without any problems. Then we went to go and collect the car. At this point I realised that although I'd sent the company a reminder that we still needed the car, I didn't actually know the name of the company I'd hired it through. I'm all organisational skills me eh?

Come on, give me a break, I'd just replied to an email, I didn't think to write down the name of the company! Who needs that?!

After a brief (unexpected) spell on the internet and a couple of visits Heathrows Terminal 4 information kiosk we were sorted and on our way to my homelands. This went without incident. Oh wait. I lie. Some dick decided to shed his lorry load of newspapers on the M11 - the main motorway leading to where we were heading.

We took an alternate route and to be honest the journey was relatively painless. We were still feeling pretty fresh so we managed an unplanned visit to my home town, my home village and my parents village. Much more than I'd been expecting. Then we went to a friends house to shower and unpack our stuff to spend the night. Then, still feeling pretty awake I decided to visit my parents with S. It was everything I've been looking forward to, wonderful to catch up.

Once again my organisational skills were brought to the forefront when we agreed to follow my father to the hire car place to drop off the car. As we arrived I realised I'd not filled it with petrol so I ignored his frantic signalling and overtook him to go to the servo. This caused him minor panic but it give him a chance to chat with the hire guy and cover our late return. It's all about organisation and being well prepared eh?

My wonderful parents returned us to the friends house where we'd arranged to spend the night. We slept very well.

Things we saw of note:
my company office, typical uk seaside town, ancient town walls, flint cottage by castle where my grandfather lived, my church (ancient ruins hidden in woods - yes, it's MINE), kids from my old school doing the annual sponsored walk, 3 friends, family

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home