Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A change of scenery

As last the office move has happened! The company I work for is now north of Brisabe rather than South. This means I don't have to commute through the city centre to get to work anymore. I live on the north side so the journey is much shorter now. However, I'm not entirely convinced that I prefer it. Firstly, although the journey is shorter the bus service is awful. There are 2 buses a day to work, and two buses a day from work. Doesn't leave much flexibility does it?

Further more, the nearest bus stop for the bus to work is about a fifteen minute walk away. It doesn't sound far but even at 6am it's pretty warm here. At the other end it's about a 25 minute walk and of course it's warmer by then. The other thing I dislike is that the office is in a very industrial area. There is not a single shop or thing to do within a couple of k's. This reduces the appeal of breaks somewhat.

Although it's of no concern to me there is a huge lack of car parking spaces too. All the car owners are complaining that they have to park on the street and walk 100 meters to the building. Whoopy shit eh? My heart bleeds for the lazy bastards...

The new building is very smart. It's not much to look at from the outside but inside it reminds me of a rather nice hotel. There are two wide sweeping stair cases made from mahogany and marble. Most of the floors are also marble and the actual internal offices are generally about half glass fronted which makes them light and airy.

The exception to this is the area that I work in. The IT department is in the centre of the building and has no windows. The area has already assumed the nickname of "The abyss" and we've all become known as "the cavemen".

My favourite part of the new building is the roof. I've discovered a fire door which leads there. It's a great place as no one else had discovered it so I can go up there to smoke (not literally - I don't set light to myself and smoulder like an incense stick) and view the rather boring landscape. Still, better than being in the abyss working.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home