Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The girl knows me too well

If you've not read the post I put up a while ago, the one detailing this weeks choice of breakfast then this wont make much sense. I recommend you read the post below and then come back to this one.

Done? Good. Well, in earlier post I meant to give you all my news but got rather distracted as ever. One of the pieces of news I was supposed to tell you was that TT got the job she wanted. She got a phone call on Monday and hence she's now finishing the last week of the job she hates. She's got to work Monday and Tuesday of next week then she gets the rest of the week off before starting her happy new job the following Monday. I'm so chuffed for her.

Well, I bought her flowers, cooked her dinner, etc. But all that is fairly normal so for a treat I took her out for dinner tonight. It was a place I've mentioned on here before. I really fancied eating a sherpa so I called about 6 and was amazed that they still had a table spare. TT got home from work, got showered and changed in record time and off we went.

The restaurant was amazingly busy. We turned up and they looked around the already squished diners, spotted two tables that had the luxury of elbow room and began shoe-horning another table between the two previously lucky diners. We said we'd rather wait. So she grabbed us and pulled us through to the back of the restaurant where it opened up into another vast seating area, equally full.

We shrugged and she rolled her eyes, dragged us upstairs and showed us two further rooms overflowing with happy diners. We decided to take a seat here as it seemed everyone was enjoying themselves despite the cramped conditions.

Just after we sat down the couple next to us got up and left. It seemed odd as their main courses had only just arrived and I didn't think either of them had even begun. I thought I must smell really bad or something but TT just giggled and we figured they'd been called away or something. Two minutes passed and the waitresses stormed the table, stripped it and reset it in about 4 seconds.

However, about 2 minutes later the couple returned and looked absolutely aghast. Apparently they'd just popped out for a smoke between courses and now their dinners, wine and bread had all gone.

The waitresses apologised profusely and brought back fresh of everything though.

The dinner was fab. I'd not really known what to expect from a Tibetan restaurant, as I really dismissed their typical diet as yeti soup, snow and sherpa steaks. However, I really should have been much more excited. After all, where is Tibet? It's between India and China, so guess what sort of food they have? Yep, the Sherpa platter (The only mention I could find of Sherpa on the menu) consisted of all my favourite asian nibbles, such as samosa, spring rolls, won ton, onion bahji, etc. But we couldn't finish the platter between us and that was just the starter.

For main I had yeti curry (lamb, but I was insistent on calling it yeti to make the evening more authentic) and TT had yeti stew with mountain dumplings. (Ok... Normal dumplings)

We didn't get even close to finishing, the portions were huge. As we were talking after dinner I was wondering whether to leave a tip. I normally do, but although this places food was great, the lack of hospitality and the rushing made me less inclined to do so. The two things I hate in a restaurant are being rushed and being treated like a table number. I decided I wouldn't. The other thing that put me off was that it was a shared tip jar and I like my tip to go to the person(s) I feel earned it - in this case, the chef.

However, we approached the till and she waived our bill in front of us to verify it was the correct one. Hmm. 1 shared platter, $20, 1 yeti curry, $18, 1 lamb stew, $17, 1 bottle wine, 2 bottles water....yep, that seems to be the one thank you.

"$35 please sir!" I asked if she was sure. She looked flustered, looked at the bill again and said "Ok, $30 please sir!" I gave her $30 for the till, $10 for her and stuck $10 in the tip jar. I looked like a generous tipper but with the happy knowledge that I was still much better off. And, to make it even better I had a clear conscience. I'd asked her if she was sure!

(Now back to the title of this post...) On the way home TT asked if we could stop to get another bottle of wine. I said I'd be happy to. A few minutes later she said "Actually, I don't think I could manage another bottle of wine tonight. And I never drink it the next day, I don't like it once it's been open more than a couple of hours... But I really fancy another glass" I told her not to worry. I'd get the wine, she could drink what she wanted and I'd finish the rest the following day, no need to worry about waste.

And guess what her reply was? Go on, guess....(You've read previous post haven't you?)

"Oh J, wine for breakfast really isn't good for you, you know...."

Oh, and in the bottlo, guess what happened? I found a $10 note on the floor. No one else in the place so there was no point handing it in, the kid behind cash desk would have just pocketed it. So there we go, $30 meal and found $10. Total savings of the evening approx $60. Yey!

Have a good weekend y'all, I'll try and post some proper news rather than gibber soon....

1 Comments:

Blogger vuboq said...

Wait. Wine for breakfast isn't good for you? Is she sure? I may have to change my morning routine.

6:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home