Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Ocka Aussie Adverts

I think I've probably mentioned at some point that I like reading Ben Elton books. The first one I read was Gridlock, in about 1998 I think. For one reason and another I then didn't read any more until about 2000. That one was called This Other Eden and one of the main characters in an Australian. Hence Mr Elton makes several references to the idiosyncrasies of the Australians (well, the world in general, but the one I remember most is about the Australians). He mocks the Aussies for their blatant style of advertising.


I've just been to the bookshelf and it appears TT has leant the book out so I can't quote from it but it's something like "Mr X looked at the advertising billboard. It was filled with a 12ft picture of a pie and the bold caption: "AUSSIE PIES. PIES MADE IN AUSTRALIA" and then, as though further clarification was needed, smaller words underneath read "Aussie Pies. Eat them"


I'm reminded of this passage on an almost daily basis because I walk past these genuine signs on the way to the bus stop in the morning:

"Davis Car traders - WE BUY AND SELL CARS!"
"Hostel - Bar - Restaurant. Sleep here, drink here, eat here!"
"Big Phils Sheds - Buy a shed for your yard or garden!"
"Thai Foot Massage pty ltd - Come inside for a Thai foot massage!"

Hardly essential tag lines are they? I'm waiting for the local police beat to put up a flashing neon sign: "We arrest criminals!" or similar.



2 Comments:

Blogger vuboq said...

So, you should change your tagline to reflect your new country of residence:

Only Me's Blog: I BLOG!

or something ...

1:32 am  
Blogger Only me said...

Vuboq: That wouldn't be obvious enough. They'd wander away thinking "Who does?"

1:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home