Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Bonza Bonsais

I take it back...


Do you remember me writing about our neighbour? The one who couldn't park his car in his own spot? Then we thought he was dead? Well, he's been quite talkative of late and I've discovered he's not actually a bad bloke at all. And he;s not dead of course. Sure he drinks too much and can't remember what he's been talking about or promising the following day. He's also a bit of a bullshitter and a bit shifty, but all in all he's actually a pretty decent bloke.

This weekend he really shocked me. He wandered into our patio area and asked whether I was a good driver. Puzzled, I replied that I held an advanced UK drivers license as well as my Queensland aussie one. He told me that he was going out for the day to watch the Ashes cricket match (being held just down the road from us at the Gabba in Brissy) and that I could borrow his car if I wanted.

I gratefully accepted his offer. Not only was it totally unexpected but it was also perfectly timed. Today we'd been planning to get some grocery shopping - always a chore on the bus especially when ones partner manages to consume about 8 litres of coke zero per week - those bottles are heavy.

But, in addition we'd been planning to treat ourselves to a picnic at a place called Mt Coot-tha. It's a big mountain on the outskirts of Brisbane which commands excellent views of the city. It also has some beautiful garden and lakes. It is accessible by public transport, but it's not too easy.

Neighbour gave me the keys and we headed straight for the supermarket. We bought all sorts of stuff from the deli counter for our picnic. I'm have to admit i've never used the deli section of a supermarket before. I always find them overpriced or poor quality.

We also done our proper grocery shopping and then went and dropped it off at the house before continuing to the mountain.
We had a really nice afternoon and I've now acquired a fascination with bonsai. Aren't they wicked? I've seen them before of course, but this place had a whole area dedicated to them and now I'm fascinated.



5 Comments:

Blogger vuboq said...

OMG! What is up with this flurry of posting? And driving? and bonsai?

My parents gave me a bonsai once. I killed it. Not on purpose.

1:35 am  
Blogger vuboq said...

oh. and why did this show up today, but the date say November 25th?

Is Australia a week behind? That is so weird.

1:38 am  
Blogger vuboq said...

"Today" in the US being December 1st, that is.

1:38 am  
Blogger Only me said...

Vuboq x 3: I may not be posting regularly but I am keeping notes! And I like to post them in roughly the right order otherwise I start referring to things I've not told you about yet! It may be tough on your brain but it's worse on mine because I wrote tonights post then realised it wouldn't make sense without the rest of the week - hence the flurry...But I'm going to bed now so you'll have to wait another day or two to get up to date to today. Which by then will be a couple of days ago. And so on...gnagh!

1:41 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I've enjoyed visiting your blog. I am trying to get a site up and running similar the Last Minute Travel blog.

2:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home