Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

First couple of days


Picture to the left is the childish chocolate bar I bought in Malaysia. Did I really buy chocolate just because it was called "kok kok"? Damn right I did!

After posting yesterday I tried to sleep but simply wasn't tired after very successful sleep efforts on the plane here! So I went and met her for lunch TT for lunch and then decided to go and visit some of my favourite Brisbane haunts:

Downunder Bar
Cheap beer and graffiti everywhere. They actually encourage people to scratch comments, jokes etc into the walls. The walls are all made of removable panels so if anyone writes anything stupid like "THIS BAR IS SHIT" they just remove the panel and someone else will scratch something else on the new blank space within hours/days.

The result is a bar where every surface is covered in witticisms, jokes, messages, etc. Got involved helping to hoist a 55" plasma screen 12ft above the bar and got a couple of free pints for my efforts. Result!

O'Malleys
An Irish themed bar (no shit eh?!) under the main shopping mall. I like that one because it's so near the main shoppy area and offers refuge from retail. And they have a cool room called "The Parlour" which has a real coffin as a table. I didn't like it much in there that day though because it was full of English football fans. Had enough of them at home!

Galhooleys
Another Irish theme bar. I was queuing for my first beer when this absolute drunkard started talking at me. I nodded politely and tried to ignore him. It didn't work and I somehow ended up joining him and his mates on their table outside. They were so drunk I really didn't want to be there but I had an amazingly luck rescue. TT's best friend happened to walk by and spot me. She shrieked and ran over to me. I jumped up and gave her a hug while whispering desperately into her ear "Please rescue me!"

Without hesitating she declared really loudly "Finally bloody found you! Come on, I've booked a table, your girlfriend is going to be really mad if you're late!" and then just dragged me away! She's a great girl!

I caught up with her for a bit and then went to meet TT from work. We had take-out because it was quick and easy and I wanted to get to bed. We were in bed by 8pm. Good job I wasn't tired...

This morning I walked TT to work again and then started shopping for birthday present for her. My main options were

a) Xbox 360
b) Diamond earrings
c) Long weekend away somewhere this weekend (Eg. Melbourne, Sydney or Adelaide)

The Xbox idea I had while back in the UK because I know she really misses playing it. When she returned to Aus from the UK she stayed with her bestfriend and became totally addicted to it. We then got this place of our own and she's been living here on her own, waiting for me, and missing the Xbox. So I thought that would be a good present.

And I know she'd like the earrings because she's never owned or liked much jewellry, so when she actually tells me she likes the idea of something I know it must be serious.

Of course, we both love travel and I figure she could use a change of scenery having been here in Brisbane for around 6 months. So the idea of a weekend away would be well received too.

I shopped around and got some idea of flight prices, xbox prices and diamond prices. In all honesty they were all kind of similar. Money is not a factor when it comes to TT, I'd buy her anything I could afford. I went to a bar with my huge pile of prices to think about things. I ended up talking to the girls behind the bar (surprise surprise!) and they decided unanimously that a weekend away was #1, diamond earrings #2 and xbox #3.

I called her best friend and she said "Those are all great ideas! She'd love any of them! But I think weekend away would be best received - mind you, she's talked about diamond earrings for months now...." I guess that confirms it. I'll look into things more tomorrow.

I cooked tonight and then we're about to watch Basic Instinct. I know it's an old film, but TT and I talked about it recently and I realised we'd not watched a "raunchy" film together. I'm looking forward to my evening. G'night!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home