Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Aaaagh - women cost money!

As you may guess from the title I've finally done the present shopping. I heeded advice and decided on the weekend away or diamond earrings. But I still couldn't decide which, so I went with both. But the weekend away had to suffer a little. It's now a "drivey" weekend instead of a "flighty" one.

I've booked a hire car and I've been to tourist information and found out about all the things worth seeing and doing in the area. I've also found this website which has some ideas: Driving Tours QLD. I've spotted some good things on there.

While looking for things to do I got caught out by the size of Australia earlier. I've been here enough times now, so I know it's fucking huge but every now and then I still get caught out. Today I found a leaflet on this place which has fossilized dinosaur prints. Fancies seeing that. And it was in QLD outback - only 100km from nearest town.

The leaflet warned that it was in outback, take everything you need for the 100km drive and return. No worries thinks me [see? Getting into the lingo already] - now, where exactly is that nearest town? Went to multimap.com.au. Zoom out, zoom out, zoom out [hmmm, I should recognise a place soon...] zoom out, zoom out, zoom out [fuck this, 1:20 000 000 scale...] Oh, there it is. About three days drive away. Bugger.

Anyhoos, the other pressie. I now know all there is to know about diamonds. I understand the international diamond scale on all levels. I can now walk into any jeweller and ask about a diamond in terms of it's colour, points, cut, clasp, perfection, etc. I've been to about 12 places today, narrowed that down to 6, then 2. Finally chose a pair and I hope she likes them. The effort I put into choosing them meant more to me than the cost.

On the way home I heard something really funny. I was walking along the street and I suddenly heard a shout from a house:

Woman Voice: "Ahhh! There you are you little bastard!"
Boys Voice: "Mum! I don't want my hair cut, get away from me!"
[crash of something breaking, probably china]
WV: "You shit! Come back here!"
BV: "Piss off mum! They're fucking sheep shearers!"
WV: "Don't be a shit, come 'ere!"
BV(?) [Aaaaaaaghhhhooooowwww]
BV: "Mum! That really hurts, gerroff me!!"
WV: "Shuddup you pansy"
[bbbbbrrrrrrrrrr] (Imagine this sound as a petrol powered chainsaw, that's what it honestly sounded like!)
BV: [sobbing] "Oh mum, I don't want my hair cut!"

I couldn't help but sit down on a nearby wall and listen to the whole incident heard through open windows. But I was shaking so much with laughter I had to go home before I peed myself. I love Australians!

TT has finished work now and is currently sat opposite me posting to her blog while pretending she's replying to emails. And here's me doing the same. This is comedy. So anonymous but so obvious at the same time! I'm sure she must know what I'm doing too, especially as I'm looking at her right now while touch typing and smiling in an innocent way.

I may be away a day or two while I treat her to some time away. I'll be back on form soon I promise...




1 Comments:

Blogger vuboq said...

A driving tour sounds so romantic! what fun! I can't wait to read more details. And, I'm sure the diamond earrings are lovely :-) Gosh, what a sweet guy you are!

*smooches*

10:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home