Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

The lunch saga

The lunch I take to work is pretty predictable. Generally it consists of a banana, an apple, a mandy, some tuna with chopped cuce and tom, and a couple of rice crackers. It sounds a lot but the fruit are snacks for grazing.

Last week I got a craving for wraps. Yes. My work life is very exciting. On the way home I stopped at the supermarket and bought some lebanese breads which were large squares (30x30cm) of wafer thin bread.

Brisbane were playing Melbourne at footy that night so naturally I had to show my support by cracking a long neck or two. Or 5.

After we won I decided to make lunch ready for the next day. The wrap, packed with seasoned tuna, salad and shredded tasty looked pretty impressive. I tried to wrap it with cling film. But the cling film was only 35cm wide which resulted in me using what seemed, and probably was, 2m to completely wrap it, including the ends so the filling wouldn't fall out.

Surprisingly I didn't actually think here was anything strange about this and managed to wedge it into the fridge. I didn't even think it was odd as i crammed it into my bag and went to work in the morning.

It was only at lunch time I felt a total dick pulling this huge thing from my bag and spending 10 minutes trying to unwrap it and consume it in a dignified fashion. Then I had the wonderful idea - "Tonight I'll cut it in half before trying too wrap it" Genius. you caan tell I'm paid for my tremendous brain power can't you? It's true. That's why i'm so poor.

Anyhoo, next day I take in the same thing, but neatly cut and neatly packaged. I unwrap, and pick up one. Unknown to me, the bread bonds with itself rather well. As I picked one up and tried to grab a bite while the idiot on the phone was rebooting his PC it tried to hold onto it's comrade. This resulted in the other roll rapidly unrolling and showering my desk with tuna, salad and shredded tasty.

After a few choice expletives I came up with another cunning plan. "Tonight I'll wrap them seperately. " Another stroke of pure genius.

The following day work decided to grace us with free lunch. So my wraps went in the bin.

I repeated the experiment that night and I'm pleased to report that on Friday I actually managed to have my wraps without any form of embarrasment or disaster. This concludes the exciting lunch saga.

Don't complain, I didn't force you to read it did I?




7 Comments:

Blogger R said...

No you did not. But i still demand you return the 3 minutes of my life i just wasted reading that sandwich related drivel

:P

5:31 am  
Blogger Z said...

You always eat the same lunch, give or take a wrap or a cracker? Don't you get bored?

It was a fascinating saga, take no notice of everyone else.

5:52 am  
Blogger Only me said...

r: 3 minutes? Read quicker...

z: give or take, nope. Cheers for the support, r is so mean to me.

10:21 pm  
Blogger R said...

Mean, my ass. And i always take the same lunch to work. So don't be disheartened.

7:45 am  
Blogger goblinbox said...

Adorable story.

You eat too much fish; heavy metals, mate. Cut back.

11:45 am  
Blogger Only me said...

r: What is your daily staple? (meany)

gobbo: I delierately choose tuna that isn't advertised as dolphin friendly. Therefore it's not all zinc and mercury tuna, i also consume a healthy amount of mammal blow hole...

9:02 pm  
Blogger R said...

"blow hole" *snigger*

I always have a sandwich in a granary bread cake, crisps, a banana, an orange, a kitkat and a bottle of water.

Cos i'm cool innit.

7:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home