Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Saturday, June 07, 2008

Ice burger nerder

I'm sure that I've been told only 1 third of an iceberg is the part we see "floating" on the ocean. So when I drop a cube of ice in my morning glass of water how come it's almost enitrely under water? Something to do with salt water bouyancy?

I feel like Archimedes. Or Einstein. Or Newton. For fucks sake, who was that dude that jumped out of his pool and shouted Eureka and waved his todger around? Whoever the perve was, I feel like him. I want to bath and then add an ice cube to measure the displacement.

I'm seriously considering making some saline ice cubes and experimenting to find out if Titanic type oceans are any different to my glass of ocka aussie water. I'm allowed to be a nerd if I want. And why aren't there labs available for rent for these kind of things? I'd pay.


2 Comments:

Blogger dykewife said...

most of the frozen ice that makes up the bergs isn't salt water, they're all freshwater.

interesting, yes?

4:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was Archimedes. And you can rent out my lab, if all you're planning is throwing ice cubes about :P

8:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home