Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Sunday, June 15, 2008

No Hoax Sunday

I just signed into Internet banking to check my balance. For the first time in 30 months I wasn't greeted by a security alert telling me to ignore the latest hoax email that reads as blah blah blah.

They always give an example of the email with "SPECIMEN" watermarked across it. Why do they do this? Why not be a teany bit more direct? Rather than give us account numbers just give us unique names such as IDIOT3, WANKER5, TWAT17, NUMBNUTS1...

Bear in mind of course the average hoax email looks something like this:









Der Customer,



Weev forgutten yur account number and passwordz. Can you email them to hoaxer@hotmail.com plz?



Cheers M8,



Westpac bos.

PS. Before we lost the account info a Nigerian dude said he wanted to give you a load of cash he couldn't gey out of the cuntry or sumfink so we gave him yer stuff.

==================================================================

I mean, really. Oh, and by the way Mr Westpac, who demonstrated their intelligence by sending out new credit cards to their customers with a letter saying "Please find enclosed your more secure credit card. For your convenience the card is ready to use, all you need to do is sign the back and you're good to go...."

Just how many thousands did that cost when you had to reimburse all the people such as myself that had the letter and card stolen from their mailbox and fraudulently used? And you think we need reminders of the importance of security?



2 Comments:

Blogger R said...

Haha, i got one of those this morning...

This made me laugh lots, thank you x

10:20 pm  
Blogger goblinbox said...

Cust: Hi. I'm calling to verify my password.

Me: Pardon?

Cust: I got an email that you need my password.

Me: Oh. Was it badly spelled?

Cust: Huh?

Me: The email. It had really bad grammar, right?

Cust: Uh, I didn't notice.

Me: Oh, well, forget it. Point is, we already know your info and will never ask for it in an email.

10:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home