Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Monday, January 28, 2008

Weekend work related fun-ness

Last week a client reported a drama with one of my databases. She claimed it had lost data. I offered to look into it over the long weekend.

Luckily we have technolgy which enables us to use any internet connected PC to connect to our office workstations and use them as though we were in front of them.

Furthermore, our work PC's allow those with permissions to take over the control of any other PC on the company network. Hence, from sitting here on my deck I can effetively access any one of the tens of thousands of PC's on our network.

Only of course, if they're turned on.

The dumb bint that reported the drama had switched hers off. I tried various IP addresses in a similar range but none of them had access to the drive I needed.

After about a dozen or so attempts I decided to get a bit naughty. After all, it's a long weekend and no one would be utilising the power at our disposal.

I chained together the server farms in Brisbane, Sydney and Perth and dedicated the entire processing power into one task. A brute force attack on our sysadmins password.

My home PC isn't too badly spec'd but this would have taken an estimated 6 days. Chuck 30 industry strength servers at the drama and suddenly within 6 minutes there's no longer an issue.

I logged in as sysadmin, mapped the drive I needed and extracted the files I required. The results were unshocking. We employ shadowing on our drives so I was able to recover copies of the file from today back to the day the drama occured.

On the 11th of Jan she deleted the records in question. My database didn't drop them, SHE DELETED THEM. I know this because she made a half arsed attempt to cover her tracks. She didn't realise I have what I refer to as "My Secret Squirrel" A redundant copy of every record entered. The two don't match up.

I don't know what she was thinking when she deleted them, and gods only know she made a poor effort at covering her tracks. I can restore everything, but the point is, she tried to blame ME. So the moral dilema is, do I just fix it for her or do I shrug and walk away?

I thought everyone at my company had got the hint by now - DO NOT INCURE THE WRATH OF THE POMMIE DATABASE GUY! HIS SOFTWARE CALCULATES YOUR WAGES!

I guess I've answered my own question. She's too ugly to root so I guess someones getting a pay cut this week. Good job she'll be putting in plenty of over time re-entering that data eh?

Ooops. Did someone overwrite the record showing overtime as time and a half? Dang.

Yeah. I know I'm a cunt.


5 Comments:

Blogger R said...

Ooof you basterd! Nice going... ;)

12:19 am  
Blogger Only me said...

Rach: I know :)

12:19 am  
Blogger goblinbox said...

OMG. I think I'm in love with you. You're BOFH!

2:36 pm  
Blogger goblinbox said...

"...she's too ugly to root..."

*roflmao!*

Wait. Do you mean root as in root-on-a-server, or root as in fuck?

Either way, still funny.

2:38 pm  
Blogger Only me said...

Goblin: Are you diseased? Hell chucked me out for bad behaviour.

Goblin: Root as in fuck. Ugliness is no conern to me if I want to root a box ;)

Besides, as SA I was able to root any one of them. If I cared. If I suspected they had anything interesting on them....

1:09 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home