Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Karma

Yesterday I had my best day for ages. I'd promised to meet S at 11am in her home town which is about half an hour from me. I woke at about 10.55am with my mobile still in my hand on the "Set Alarm" screen. I guess I was really tired when I went to bed.

But anyhoo, I turned up an hour late and only expected half an hour with her, at most. We fed ducks again (I stole 7 bread rolls from the work BBQ), then we went to a dress fitting cos S has a charity ball upcoming and needs a dress. Then we went to the shopping centre. Then we went to buy a kitty at a pet store. Then we went to S's place and she tried on loads of clothes to choose something to wear for the evening. Then we came to my place briefly before heading out and getting some dinner. Then we went to a pub. Then we went clubbing.

Umm. The half hour thing kinda turned into 12 hours or so.

I can't remember the last time I couldn't get a stupid inane grin off my face so long. It was worst at the club. S was dancing and I SO wanted to get up too. But I'm shit at dancing so I didn't.
Now onto the karma part. S's father runs a charity and I wanted to get involved in a volunteer position. I went to the website and discovered the application form was in PDF format to be printed and posted. You all know me - I can't be arsed to do stuff like that.

So I emailed my CV which had most of the info they needed and a covering note to explain other stuff that wasn't on the resume. I got a call about 5.45 tonight from them. They asked if I was currently working. I laughed and explained that I wasn't trying to find employment but it was the easiest way to apply to be a freebie volunteer.

M said "I know. But this is unrelated. As well as the charity I work for X. We're looking for someone with your qualifications...."

So now, although it's not certain of course (she has to run it by her boss), I may be changing position soon. And to be honest, I really hope it happens! It's such a challenging role, I love things that confront me. It will be software, hardware, network infrastructure, travel all over Aus, etc. WOW! I want it!

And this has only happened cos I wanted to do some work for charity. Karma people. It works.
Whether it happens or not, this is true: I LOVE STRAYLIA! I've had a totally rocking weekend and I'm HAPPY! Party on all of ya's....


4 Comments:

Blogger dykewife said...

one thing to keep in mind with charities is that the pay is pretty dismal because they can't afford to pay large salaries. also be careful of volunteering to do jobs outside your job description. at charities those "i'll do it once" jobs become yours forever. :)

sez i speaking from experience.

4:11 pm  
Blogger Only me said...

Dykewife: How's this for a good response time?! 3 mins after you posted - shit I'm good.

The potential job would be with company X, not the charity. But I SO know what you mean about charities exploiting volunteers. Luckily I'm pretty used to it so I know the warning signs.

But how long is it before someone establishes a charity to help all those that are overworked by other charities?!

4:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our Charity wouldn't overwork you!.. My dad and step mother are more likely to enlist (aka Guilt) the step siblings and I into using/ sacrificing our services beyond their limits before exploiting yours...
Man...just thinking about it is making me tired...I think I need a Nanna Nap.

S.

9:19 pm  
Blogger Only me said...

S: Why do I feel I need to take that comment with a pinch of salt? Could it be cos despite my offer to help with setup and break down they've already asked if I can help on the night too ;)

I've thought about that some more btw and I'll prob do the whole lot....

5:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home