Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Friday, May 25, 2007

I missed the chance of my first aussie BBQ

I don't think I've mentioned this before but for the last 3 weeks I've been on a meat & wheat free diet plan. I've also been making the effort to eat three meals a day which is an oddity to me.

Unfortunately I've also banned sugar, salt and dairy products from my diet. And eggs. So that rules out almost everything except fresh fruit, veg and seed products. Seed products sounds odd, but I mean rice cakes and rye crackers - basically anything that's crunchy but tasteless.

Most mornings I have either yogurt and fruit or "real porridge" (boiled rolled oats). For almost every work lunch I take a small can of tuna in spring water, half an avocado, lump of cucumber and a tomato. I chop/mash it all up and eat it with styrofoam rice crackers. Occasionally, when I feel like beating a tuna to death, I take previous nights dinner leftovers instead. Dinner is either veg stirfry, veg curry or veg casserole.

I'm also avoiding caffeine so I'm drinking "herbal infusions" instead of coffee. Now get this. I've been sticking to this for over 3 weeks with one exception of a pizza. But I seem to be putting on weight. How the fuck does that happen?!

Today work celebrated winning a major contract by chucking a free BBQ for everyone. They're always doing that sort of stuff. Hardly a week goes by without some form of free lunch. But usually it's Thai and it's announced over the PA system about 2 mins after I've consumed the lunch I brought in. This was different because we actually got an email yesterday telling us it was gonna happen.

I decided I was gonna splurge and treat myself to a burger. I looked forward to it for 24 hours then when it came to it I decided I didn't really fancy it after all. I had some rice cakes and apple with cinnamon tea instead.

What was funny though is that I went outside about 10am and someone had put some fluffy toys on top of the (unlit) BBQ. There was a fluffy cow, fluffy pig and a big yellow chicken. And an A3 sheet of paper next to them with "PLEASE EAT US" written on it! I guess we employ some Nazi Vegetarians! However, aussies being aussies when I went out later in the avo the toys were all singed and the sign had "Fuck that, you're too stringy" handwritten under it.

I left at 3.30 to go to someones leaving do and company paid beer. I didn't really know anyone so I went home. Social aren't I?



1 Comments:

Blogger Z said...

Putting on weight with that diet? I should think that you've cut out something that was doing you no good at all (which is, I guess, why you went on such a strict elimination diet) and now your digestion is working properly.

6:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home