Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Friday, April 27, 2007

Messenger silliness

Two excerpts from recent Messenger chats with my wonderful mum:

Chat #1
Mum: So what are you up to son?

Me: Gonna grab a tallie from the bottlo

Mum: What's a bottlo?

Me: A bottleshop - an offie in the UK

Mum: ok. What's a tallie?

Me: It's a long neck

Mum: Which is?

Me: A big stubbie

Mum: What the hell is a stubbie?

Me: A small bottle of beer

Mum: So why the hell didn't you just say you're going to the off-license to get a large bottle of beer?

Me: "Gonna grab a tallie from the bottlo" is easier!

Mum: It's such a shame you've already forgotten how to speak English my son!


Chat #2
Mum: I woke up with toothache so I called my dentist but he's in Prague

Me: Shit mate! That's a long way to go whenever you get toothache! Why don't you register with one that's nearer home?

Mum: You think you're funny but you're not. And making me laugh is not helping!

Me: I crack me up. Really hope it gets better soon...

I love her to pieces! I am concerned about my increasing aussieness though. Whenever I speak to anyone on the phone in the UK they make comments. I think it's more the increased coarseness, decreased shyness and the use of slang. I keep ending nouns with "ie" or "o" as is the aussie way. I guess it's like living in any foreign country - when you're surrounded you just can't help but absorb it.




4 Comments:

Blogger just me said...

Hilarious, it's such fun to mess with my mom. My problem with Messenger or IM is that my humor doesn't always come through. People sometimes think I am being short or mean when it's just sarcasm.

I had a roomie from NZ for a year and when she used slang it made my brain hurt.

11:04 pm  
Blogger goblinbox said...

LOL! Priceless!

4:52 am  
Blogger dykewife said...

heh...sounds like your mom is a very cool lady.

go ahead and absorb away. then you can go home and horrify all your old friends and your mom's neighbours :)

2:11 pm  
Blogger Only me said...

Waluley: Writing is tougher than being there in person! But generally I manage to piss people off both ways - I'm a pro ;)

goblinbox: Glad to make you smile honey!

dykewife: She's totally brill. Don't want to absorb. 'Aw mate, that'd make me sownd loike a bogan, ey? Sheet, can't 'ave that fuckn appening....'

Her neighbours are too old, they'd be very bewildered if I went back like that!

3:17 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home