Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Monday, October 16, 2006

A nerdy post - My poor laptop


I turned on my laptop yesterday and it displayed that most welcome of messages: "Operating System not found". Not good. Not impressed. At work today I borrowed a copy of a Linux boot cd which informs me there is no hard disk present in the system. Hmmm. Luckily one of the utilities that comes with Bart PE is a file recovery program with an option to "Find Lost Drives" which actually displays the drive and it's contents which all seem to be intact.

It even told me what the problem is. Somehow the MBR of the drive has become corrupt and it's reporting that "Bytes per sector" parameter is being reported as 0 when it should be 255. How to fix this I have no idea. How I love computers...

On a more positive note TT has applied for a really decent job. She's spent hours working on her application and it's very impressive looking. It's providing IT support for a branch of government and the promotion prospects are excellent. The only downside is that the closing date for applications is early Novemember so she's got a long wait for any news.

Tonight was our penultimate dance class. Only one more to do, on Thursday, then that's the end of the course and we get a couple of weeks off before undertaking the next level up. Although I'm not convinced I should - even the foundation course we've just done was challenging enough for me! But at least I now know the basics of Zouk, Salsa and Samba.



3 Comments:

Blogger P. said...

Poorly pooter disease seems to be catching.

8:55 am  
Blogger vuboq said...

zouk?

12:46 am  
Blogger Only me said...

p. dub: Bloody computers. Bloody Hard disks. Bloody bloody.

Vuboq: Yep, Zouk. It's the one I'm best at....

6:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home