Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Taxis are bastards

I've long suspected that the taxi's in Brisbane are corrupt. Not just in the usual way (ie. Money grabbing, keep-customer-waiting, Deny ever-receiving-booking, long-route-taking thieves) but in an even more deceiptful way.

I think they actually cheat one another. I'm sure that the different cab companies have found a way to listen in on one anothers radios. I've long suspected it but today I think I've discovered proof.

I was waiting at the bus stop and a taxi came along. He slowed right down and made invitation-type gestures at me. I suspect he'd been called to the stop by someone impatient of waiting for their bus. I shook my head and he drove off. Less than a minute later another taxi done the same thing. He "spotted" me and swerved across three lanes to pull up. I told him I was waiting for a bus rather than a taxi. He looked a little surprised, shrugged and drove away.

About 40 seconds later, take #3. Yet another taxi hooted as he went past. I didn't acknowledge him but he done a U-turn at the lights and came back. He stood at the other side of the street waving me over to him.

I conclude that either:
a) Someone was playing a prank, (by calling several taxi companies and saying a guy in a blue shirt was waiting at Stop 37 - unlikely at 10am on a weekday morning)

b) Someone had made a genuine call for a cab, and they'd radio'd the drivers and every cab company in Brisbane had heard it and tried to get the job.

I may do a combination of a + b just to see what happens.

While on the subject, why is it that there is such a variance between cab drivers? How come some speak no English, have no social skill and drive like loons while others chat away, act socially and even do favours? Just human nature I guess.

I've never forgiven the cabbie that charged me #10 to jump start my car though. I'd just arrived at the train station after a day away to discover I'd left my car lights on and the battery was flat. My fault, I know.

I asked a cabbie if he happened to have a set of jump leads. He did, we got my car started in under 2 mins and then the bastard charged me. He done more harm to his profession in that 2 minutes than has ever been done before. Tighter than a ducks arse. Bah.



3 Comments:

Blogger vuboq said...

I hate taxis in DC and rarely take them ... for several reasons:

1) they don't use a meter, but a confusing "zone system" that makes no sense and everytime I go somewhere the charge is different. ex. to get to john's house from the same bar, one cab charged me $12. another tried to charge me $20. I was like "fuck that. here's $12."

2) confusing charges

3) they like to pick up extra passengers which creeps me out

4) I'm sure there are others, but these are the only ones I can think of right now.

10:28 pm  
Blogger Jay said...

I suspect the driver who charged you for jumping your car probably doesn't give a shit if you never took another taxi ride for the rest of your life.

He got 10 bucks off you.

And I think you'll find that London's pretty much the same - lots of drivers who can't speak English, and just as many who can.

8:18 am  
Blogger Only me said...

Vuboq:
They use zones here, but only for buses and trains. The trains and buses use different zone systems. Yep. Go figure

Your story of giving the taxi driver $12 reminds me of a time TT and I were in Africa. As the guidebooks recommend we arranged the price of taxis every time and it was always $10.

The one time we didn't pre-arrange the bastard tried to charge us $30. I just gave him $10 and said "That's what everyone else charges" He followed us all the way to the door of the hotel protesting and then the guy on the door told him to piss off.

Jay:
They're all bastards. Every last one of them. In London they're even worse in my opinion. I once got a minicab and the guy simply didn't have a clue where he was going.

He didn't even pretend. He just pulled over and left the meter running while he called base and said "Hey! Any idea where such-and-such is? I've got a pickup and I've no idea...."

1:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home