Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Jiffy Corn Mix and the onset of illness


G'day all!

I'm writing this in retrospect incase you hadn't guessed. Anyone checking regularly would have noticed my absence during the past week. Thanks for putting up with my lack of contact. Subsequent to today's earlier post I was going to back date these but that doesn't make much sense, so here's just one that I wanted to summarise about last Sunday. The dates don't really matter for the rest of the gibber I have.


Sunday 3rd Sep (Last Sunday - the one after my joyful boast of postings galore - sorry VUBOQ)

TT woke up feeling pretty rough this morning. She said almost immediately that she wouldn't be able to make it to the birthday party we'd arranged to attend for Helen. She was a kind of green colour when she said it and then just made it to the bathroom in time to spew kind of vaguely in the direction of the toilet. We didn't even go out on the piss last night so I know it's something horrible.

I spoke to Helen about 10am.

She'd been on another free hot air balloon ride. Envious? Me? Nah, just check out the comments I've made on her site about joy-riding a hot air balloon. Of course I'm not envious. Seeing them drift peacefully across the skies at 7am with majestic views of Australia, far above the noise and basking in tranquility...

But anyhoo, I digress. She confirmed which train we should catch etc, and I advised her that I'd probably be alone as TT was ill. But it may improve, so we'd confirm details later. I then got an SMS telling me that as she'd had such an early start and that so many people had backed out owing to it being on a Sunday evening, combined with Aussie Fathers Day, etc., that she'd decided to cancel. I felt really sorry for her but we have promised one another we'll meet up soon to make up for it.

By midday TT did feel quite a bit better. Not up to going out but she was in the mood for eating something but it had to be something quite plain. VUBOQs package came to the rescue!



I suggested muffins but TT pointed out we had no muffin dishes. Then I spotted a recipe on the side for something called "Jonny Cake" (tee-hee!) which basically means a big square muffin. But we don't have a big square baking tray. Instead we have a fucking huge rectangular one. Unperturbed I began preparing muffin mix. I had a cunning plan.

I needed an 8" x 8" baking tray and ours is about 10" x 15". I didn't want to mark the tray in any way so I cut two pieces 1" piece of stalk from an onion and laid them alternately end by end until I knew the exact 8"x8" positions. I then mushed up an old stale loaf of bread with some water to make a putty.

I laid tin foil in the tray, laid on the putty bread and then curled it upwards to form walls at the 8" x 8" boundaries. I was very chuffed with my ingenuity. But also more than little worried that the effect of being back in an engineering environment is having on me already.

TT took one look at it, tipped the whole lot in the bin and said "Mixture. From that jug, into there" pointing at the centre of the tin. Bah. Women.

As I suspected it turned out more like a Jonny biscuit than a Jonny cake, but it was tasty enough nonetheless. In fact, so tasty I'm not going to waste the other two packets until I have appropriate cooking apparatus. Wish I'd taken a photo of the result, but alas no. Sorry.

By the end of the day TT was feeling worse again and I was starting to feel shitty too.



2 Comments:

Blogger vuboq said...

mmm. corn bread and chili. mmm.
if only i had a working oven. *sigh*

something yummy you might want to try is mixing in blueberries with the cornbread mix. super yummilicious for breakfast!

1:38 am  
Blogger vuboq said...

oh. and i hope you and TT are feeling better :-)

1:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home