Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Oh, busy times....


Well, where do I begin?

Today I got offered three jobs. Yep. All in one day. After weeks of rejecting mundane shite my efforts finally came to fruition. The three most favourite applications all offered on the same day.

a) The stupidly-well-payed one finally sent me a contract, I only have to go to their office (just around the corner) and sign it.

b) The dream job, that has a "required skills list" mirroring my resume have sent me an offer.

c) The one that I had to do an intelligence test for also sent me an offer following a face-to-face interview this morning.

By the way, I got the highest score they've had in 5 months on the intelligence test!

The middle one, the dream job, I had my final interview for yesterday. I had to do a "technical test" where they gave me a database and I had to make some modifications for it. The average time to complete the test is 45mins with a 50/50 pass/failure rate. I done it in 8 minutes then started writing a document highlighting the flaws in their db design.

I'm such a fucking nerd.

The guy came in after 15mins and this happened:

Bloke: "Ah. I see you're busy at it! I forgot to offer you a glass of water. How's it going?"

Me: "It's done, I'm just compiling as list of bugs in the database you gave me to work with."

Bloke: "That was written by our senior database engineer, I doubt it has any bugs!"

Me: "I've found three fatal ones already"

Bloke: "I really think you should concentrate on the task rather than looking for flaws"

Me: "I've done it. And I done the bit for bonus points too"

Bloke: "No, I think you should re-read the problem. Around half the people that perform this test fail it. The fastest completion time we've ever had is 20 minutes"

Me: "It's done. I've tested it too. It only took me 8 minutes because I'm not used to an Aussie keyboard. If I'd had my own computer I reckon I could have done it in 5"

Bloke: "You're serious aren't you?"

Me: "Yup"

Bloke: "Jeez! I think we've found our guy! I just need to get one of our technical people to check your work but they're all at lunch at the moment. It normally takes longer you see?"

Me: "It's ok, I'm happy to wait. Try and get the senior guy that wrote this - I'd like to hear him explain these bugs I've found...."

He left the room looking rather shocked and I nearly pissed myself laughing. As I said, it's a dream job to me, it's what I've done for the last 12 years and although it's very nerdy I'm good at it and I find it very easy.

He came back with the super nerd about 10 minutes later by which time I'd found another two fatal flaws in their database.

All in all it went very well and they pretty much gave away that they'd made their decision before I left the room. I called the UK with my potential happy news last night. About 11 this morning I got the confirmation.

It's not so well paid as the stupidly well paid job, but it's a seven figure salary and it's doing something I enjoy. They're also about to move offices so they'll be about a 4 minute walk from my house. That's an important factor - I do also enjoy laying in bed.

I've just sent an email to the intelligence test people (c) and told them I didn't find todays interview stimulating enough. This is a downright lie but it makes me laugh and that's all that's important.

Even more amusing is what's about to happen. I'm now going to TT's work place and I'm going to ask to speak to her supervisor. She doesn't need that job anymore....







3 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

Today is now Wednesday.
I am hoping that your lack of entry for the last 2 days isn't because TT has killed you...
If you socked her boss in the facial and are in a detention centre of some description, that's fine, we can all wait for the story.
Meanwhile, congratulations!!
I'm not sure about the ring 'sale' or 'for sale' business. I wasn't sure whether they wanted to charge me $ for looking at it, so I didn't stay for long!

Can't wait for updates....

7:11 pm  
Blogger vuboq said...

I second Helen! Congrats on the job offers!! You rock, Mister!

And, I can't wait to hear (er ... read) how the visit to TT's supervisor went.

*smooch*

10:28 pm  
Blogger Only me said...

Helen: Can't wait to join you for the birthday celebrations you sms'd me about. Thanks for the comment! PS. Detention centre? Me? Nah - Don't like the food....

Vuboq: Thank's for your comments too, Mr Vuboq! I'm just about to post a note about the "Supervisor meeting"....!

9:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home