Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Stupid bloody cheese graters...

Can someone explain to me why manufacturers of cheese graters don't make them from stainless steel? I thought every kitchen utensil nowadays was easy to clean and rust proof. Not so with cheese graters it would seem. You know the sort I mean. The square ones. That brings me to another point. The four sides.

One side is designed for grating cheese, another side it designed for slicing stuff and the other two sides, although designed for some purpose, are useless. Has anyone actually found a use for the two sides that are impossible to clean and useless for any form of culinary function? All they ever do is snag the dish cloth (I do my washing up manually, I hate dishwashers because of their lack of attention to detail) and the towel while drying.

But, my real annoyance is the fact that our grater - identical to ones I've owned in the UK and US, so this is a global problem - is impossible to keep rust free. At least in Aus the weather helps. Whenever I've washed the bastard here I immediately take it outsine to be rapidly dried in strong sunshine rather than snagging my tea towel over it and leaving bits of cotton on its useless rusty bits.

But I'd still like to know:

a) What are the useless sides supposed to do?

b) How can you keep the whole thing rust free?

c) How do you dry them without shredding your towel and leaving cotton all over the damn device?

Cheese graters. Bastards. I hate them. But they're easier than cutting cheese into very small pieces with a kinfe - I'll give them that. Grudgingly.

4 Comments:

Blogger vuboq said...

a) the side with the smallest holes is for zesting citrus fruits. Try adding some lime zest and coconut milk when you cook rice! YUM!

b) dry it as soon as you wash it.

c) erm. use paper towels? [Or as Mike is fond of saying, "Steven, why don't you just say 'I don't know?'"]

Was that helpful?

1:46 am  
Blogger Only me said...

a) I know that's what people say it's for, but every time I try it just turns a perfectly usable fruit into mush. And it's also the rustiest side. I can burn rice to make it brown, I don't need to add rust...

b) See point C. Aka - how do I dry the bloody thing?

c) I've tried that. It just leaves paper goo snagged all over it instead of cotton. Does save wasting tea towels though. I think I'm in agreement with Mike overall!

No, much as I love your comments, that was about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike. Or a chocolate kettle. Or a candy stairgate. Or a steak knife at a vegetarian banquette. Or a solar powered torch (flashlight).

I'll stop now incase you think your comment was worthless.

It wasn't. It made me laugh, and that's the most important thing - my happiness....

Oh god, I'm starting to sound like the other Jay now - the only guy I know who is possibly more arrogant than me. Even I don't have "It's all about me" as a blog title!

I'll definately go now before I totally piss off my two fave readers!

2:44 pm  
Blogger goblinbox said...

After it's washed and dried, rub a little vegetable oil on it to keep it from rusting. Also keeps the cheese from sticking.

10:36 am  
Blogger Only me said...

goblinbox: Thanks for the comment. I coat my wok with oil so I suppose I should have thought of it for grater. How do you dry it though? Is strong sunshine the only option?

9:26 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home