Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Friday, July 28, 2006

Job offer+Haircuts+Holiday starts!


This morning tt an early start. That was good because it meant she'd finish before 12 and we could catch the 1315 train to Surfers Paradise. (Did I mention we're going on a mini holiday?) It takes her about 20 minutes to walk from her work to the train station which is conveniently situated right next door to our favourite fast food place, The Curry House.

The Curry House is excellent. For 6 bucks they do a medi plate, plenty enough to share between two - we've only finished it completely once. The small plate, which is more than ample for one person, costs just AU$4

On a plate you're given one of a choice of 3 different sorts of rice, two of a choice of 6 vegetables and one serve of a choice of four different curries. We always go for Bombay rice, spicy lentils, spiced potato(for me, because it's a hot one) and butter chicken (for TT because she likes mild curry.)

I'm shamed to say the staff know us so well they just smile and say "The usual?" We nod and the only question they need to truly ask is "Eat here or take out?"

That's what makes it even better. You can get this lovely food served in heat proof containers and it's still very hot by the time we walk home.

For $4 I find it difficult to cook a meal for two. This is probably the only place in the world where eating in costs about the same as eating out. In the UK I never really paid any attention to how much beef or onions cost per kilo, I'd almost never buy meat. I can't wait to find out now. I now know the prices of all supermarket goods "per kilo" because we always eat fresh here.

Ready / microwavable meals, don't exist in Australia much. You can buy a very limited selection but they're mainly things like Halal, Vege or lo carb. I think they're designed for Aussies that are having a dinner party and have one "Awkward" guest coming along. The host will cook for the "normal" people and slam one of these "specialty" meals into the microwave for the odd guy.

But anyway, I digress hugely, no surprise there eh?

After Tt headed to work about 7.15 (she likes to be early) I got up and showered. The moment I stepped out of the shower my phone rang. I was stuck in that horrible situation: Do I:

a) answer the phone and risk electrocuting myself by dripping water from my ear into the phone

- or -

b) ignore the phone and think "I'll call them back" only to have the frustrating experience of discovering it was an anonymous number calling?

I decided to answer the phone. At this point I realised there was another possible option:

c) answer the phone and have my hair drip water into the phone and kill my phone.

So, with a careful combination of towel, head tilting and standing on top of my DM's in the hope they had rubber soles ample to resist electrocution, I answered it.

Bloke: "Hello! Could I speak to Jay please?"

Me: "Ahh! [water runs from my head into eye] Er, Speaking!"

Bloke: "G'day mate, my name is R, I'm calling from H communications. You sent a CV to us?"

Me: "Oh, great! What did you think of it?" [stumble crash, I fall off my DM's - they're quite tall you know]

Bloke: "Aww mate, you're ideal for the role we've got in mind - I know it's short notice, but can you come for an interview tomorrow morning?"

Me: [mentally sobs, I was just about to pack for a 2 day break with TT! And it's booked. Aah! Idea!] "I'm really sorry mate, but I've actually got another interview tomorrow morning, and I'd hate to mess them around. You know, since sending out my CV I've had quite a few offers...."[I can't resist selling stuff, even if it is just me]

Bloke: "oh. ok. We thought it would be too lucky to get you at such short - sorry, I mean interview you at such short notice. Let me speak to the other guys here and I'll get straight back to you with another date"

Me: [thinks - bugger. Did I just lose out on a job?] "OK, I'm really sorry, I just don't like to let people down, you know? They did invite me first so it's only polite to turn up?"

Bloke: "I'm really sorry for even suggesting it. We'll come back to you real soon"

Me: "OK, I'll look forward to it!" [thinks - bugger. Blown it]

I then went and carried on getting dressed. I'd only just put on my socks and jocks when the phone rang again.

Me: [slightly grumbly] "Morning?"

Bloke from above: "Hi Jay! I've had a word with the guys here and we'd be really happy to give you an interview this afternoon! About 3pm is the best for us. How does that suit you? We're very flexible...."

Me: [yey! They sound desperate! yey!] "Erm, let me check my diary, I've got a feeling I've got something on this afternoon. I'll be back in one moment" [I go and put on my pants and check to see if any of my interview shirts are clean - they aren't, and we do have a 2 day break booked] "Er, sorry, as I suspected, I do have an appointment this afternoon. I could potentially make it [to cover my bridges] but I'd hate to let you down by being late. How's Monday for you guys?"

Bloke: [put's hand over phone to speak to his colleagues for 10 seconds] "Yes, we can do Monday. How's 8am with you?"
Me: [I'm feeling happy - can't get any earlier than that can you?!] "Er, hold on....hmmmmm......yes, if I call him then.....hmmmm. Yep. That would be fine with me. I look forward to seeing you!"

I think it went pretty well. A couple of times I felt I was being an idiot and almost panicked, but I think all in all I played it cool and they're pretty keen on seeing me!

I then caught the bus to Merthyr. It's only just down the road, about a half hour walk, but I was a bit short of time that morning. I went there because someone had told me they had a good, cheap barber. As the bus arrived I asked the driver if he knew where the barber shop was?

His eyes narrowed and his lip twitched. The knuckles on one of his hands whitened as he gripped the steering wheel tighter. He said to me between gritted teeth "No. I. Don't."

I was then thinking "There's no need for that attitude" when I suddenly realised he was wearing a really ill-fitting, crappy, "slide-about-the-chrome-dome-type" wig. Trust me eh?

I found the barber and I must admit, it's a very good haircut and it only cost $20, about £8. He gave me a proper shave at the end. One with a cut throat razor. I've always wanted to see how that works and the answer is: Very well. Despite having just finished a book about "Jack the Ripper" I was still willing to let a hairdresser perform a cut throat razor shave on me. What does that tell you about me? I'm stupid? Yeah, maybe....!

I then went and met TT at the train station. We had curry. It was great, good as ever. We then caught the express to Surfers Paradise.

We checked in - The Marriott no less, and then we went walkabout and I noticed that they have a "Ripleys Believe it or not". And bars. And amusement arcades. And "Sea-world". In fact, it's actually a high-rise version of the touristy town I used to live in....

We went to an Irish bar and stayed for just 1 pint - because that's how long it took for a couple of local pervs to come and start chatting up TT the moment I went outside for a cig or to the loo. Not nice for her, as you can imagine.

We then went to Mc Donalds over the road. Yes. I finally ate Mc Donalds. I had one of their crappy $2 burgers. The 49p hamburgers at home. It was exactly as gross as I expected. I asked for extra gurkin because thats the only bit I like from Maccers, but the spotty kid just looked and me for a few seconds and then grinned and said "Next Please!" to the person behind me. Who was TT.

Is labotomy really a requirement to work at Maccers?

We had an early night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home