Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Monday, August 28, 2006

Bus journey home

This is slightly surreal. I'm typing this on a bus. I'm on my way home from work. I've never used my laptop on a bus before, long train journeys yes, but buses, no. I guess it's because I don't use them often and when I do it's normally just for a five minute journey.

However, now that I'm beginning to settle into this new job and the journey it involves I know I've got at least half hour ahead of me so I may as well use it productively. As if writing this drivel could ever be called productive!

I've only been on the bus five minutes and already three strange things have happened.

a) There is a guy at the end of the bus (I'm right behind the driver) with a very vocal child. It's only a toddler, and it's obviously just discovering the fundamentals of speech. It's shouting (not screaming) "la la la la la la la da da da da da la la ma ma ma..." as loudly as possible and the bloke is a bit drunk and just yelling louder and louder into his mobile phone to be heard over the child. He's arranging to meet his mate down the pub. Great parenting eh? Even childless me can tell the kid needs attention but is used to being ignored.

b) A bloke with crutches staggered down the bus at the last stop to get off. Then he came acrocker because some twat had left [the kid is now making very good duck quacking noises!] their bags of shopping all over the centre aisle. As I was about to rush to help, because the bag owner was staring obliviously out of the window, he just changed his mind about being a cripple, tucked the crutches horizontally under his arm, stepped over the bags with ease and walked the rest of the way down the aisle at speed. I can only guess he's a professional beggar and he was doing a warm up on the bus. Don't you hate bastards like that?

c) At the next stop a couple of kids had waved the bus to stop. When it did they didn't get up from the bench. The bus driver opened the door and yelled "Are you getting on or not?" and one of them casually replied "Yeah, but we're just waiting for our friend. He won't be long". The driver explained he couldn't wait, so the kid got out a mobile and said "Let me just call him and see where he is" (still without getting up from the bus stop seat!) The driver said he wouldn't wait any longer so the kids grumbled and slowly ambled onto the bus. Do they think it's their own personal bloody taxi service or what?!

Ah, public transport, gotta love it. I've got a few more stories about things that have happened recently involving the buses and trains, but I'll type them up sometime and use them for filler when I don't have time to post poperly. If I'd had a few pre-prepared then I wouldn't have neglected you all for so long recently. In my defense, it has been a busy time.

PS. Lol, we've been stopped at these lights so long my virus checker has found a wireless connection and started dowloading!

1 Comments:

Blogger vuboq said...

damn kids.

11:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home