Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Meeting the family

Mount Me!When I first met TT one of the first things I asked her was where she came from. She told me that she hated telling people. She then told me - and when you see it written it's not so bad. But say it out alound and you'll see why my poor shy girl hated it!

I didn't actually take my camera today, but I took this over a year ago when we went to her "home mountain" and then she chickened out of doing the family thing.

So, today, we went to Mt Mee to meet her family.

We turned up "early" but through amazing coincidence her mother and brother (not the same person, she wasn't brought up in a haemo-thingy relationship) turned up at the same time. Honestly, as we were locking the car she looked towards the carpark entrance and said "Here's my mother! I recognise that shit-wagon! It's brothers car!"

Brother was really quiet [he later blamed this on mum: "You made me drink bloody lemonade, beer makes me talk more"], as TT'd warned me he would be, but mother was quite vocal. She's originally from UK so we had lots of things to talk about. In fact, her family are from same area as me so I almost felt out of place. She knows more about my bloody home area than I do!

"Mother-in-law-to-be-I-hope" wanted bitter lemon to drink so I asked for that. The bar girl looked a little puzzled to start with, and then her eyes brightened. "Oh! OK!" she said and scurried away. She came back with a glass filled with ice and a few slices of lemon. I asked what it was. She replied "A bit of lemon. That's what you wanted, eh mate?" Gotta love these Aussies...

The lunch went really well, TT told me afterwards that her family thought I was a very nice person and approved highly of me. I guess I must be a convincing actor or something because I don't think I'd approve of me! I must have kept my real persona to myself.

As further torture (only joking), TT decided to introduce me to one of her favourite work colleagues too. He and his wife lived on the route home and she's been promising to fix his PC for ages. We popped in and fixed that - No Worries.

We then went to IKEA which in Aus seems to be viewed as trendy stuff. At home in UK it's viewed as "flat-pack-shit"? We wandered around looking for a bookshelf, finaly chose one, only to be told it was out of stock.

That was about the end of our day. I wish I could tell you something funny but it just didn't happen today. I guess I'm on the route to a normal life where nothing amusing ever happens? (heh heh! As if!)











3 Comments:

Blogger P. said...

At home in UK it's viewed as "flat-pack-shit"?

Yes, but it's trendy "flat-packed-shit".

7:46 pm  
Blogger Only me said...

That is uncanny! I happened to mention to one of the attendants in the store that it was flat pack shit, and she said excactly that! "At least it's trendy flat-packed-shit!" Have you been moonlighting p.dub?!

9:53 pm  
Blogger P. said...

Hmm. I don't think so, OM. Then again, did she look a bit mad and swear a lot?

8:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home