Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Monday, May 29, 2006

Nerdy stuff x 3 and thoughts of pastures new


I was watching the Simpsons earlier in Media player and I wanted a picture of a particular scene. I paused the episode at the exact moment I wanted and hit Print Screen. I then pasted the content in my usual graphics program, Paint Shop Pro. But the area of screen that should have shown Bart was just a black square. I then tried using PSP's own screen grab tool. Same result. Tried pasting into Paint, same result. I then realised that if I moved the graphics app over the media player window the black area then showed the image below. Very odd behaviour! Anyone know how I can get a screen shot of the Simpsons?

Another thing that's annoying me: I have a Nokia phone and recently borrowed a friends blue-tooth adapter to copy the sms's from the phone onto my computer. This worked fine and I gave the adapter back. Today I needed to read through the messages but the Nokia PC Suite software will not work unless there is a phone connected. That's bollocks isn't it? I know the sms's are on the computer, I can see 4mb of backup files but the software completely refuses to function without the blue tooth adapter. Don't suppose anyone has experience of this?

Third and final nerdy thing. The office suppliers, Staples, have a pretty good offer on at the moment in my local store. I wanted to back some stuff up so I went to buy a spare hard disk. I was expecting to buy just a usual HD, fit it and use it. But when I went in the store they had this thing called a "buffalo back-up drive". It's an external HD, 160Gb, connects via USB and comes with reasonable back up software. And it's only £50. That's not bad is it? I've now backed up two desktops and my laptop without having to reach for a screwdriver.

I'll stop with the nerdy stuff now. I'm now going to see LB and moan to her about the duty free smokes she gave me yesterday. And then we're going to get pissed to celebrate my successful application for an Australian work permit. That may sound like a poor excuse for drinking beer but not if you think about it some more: Beer drinking is an essential part of Aussie culture so if I'm going to work there and fit in I have to keep practicing don't I? You're right, it's a poor excuse....!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home