Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Friday, May 26, 2006

Another story featuring a blind person

When my grandmother was still alive (God bless her) I used to go and visit her in the nursing home a few times a week. On one visit we were sat chatting when a nurse came in and told her she'd received a letter. I took the envelope and told my Nan that it had a postmark from Southampton. She beamed and explained that it must be from her friend Dotty who lives in Southampton and is blind.

"Blind?" I ask, curious as to how a blind person can write a letter. "Yes, but she's only become blind recently, so she can write letters provided someone finds her a pen and paper - it may be untidy and not particularly straight, but she can write letters" replies my grandmother. She then asked if I'd read the letter to her and passes it to me.

I open the letter and start to read it to her:

"Dear Mary,

I hope this letter finds you well...."

That was it. Well, sort of. You see, at that point Dottys pen had stopped working. You could see the scratch marks on the paper in places but couldn't actually read a thing! I spent the next 5 minutes making up shit about a new cat called Henry while flicking through 3 blank sheets of paper because I didn't want my grandmother to be disappointed!

When I'd finished my grandmother looked a little puzzled and then shrugged "I felt sure she used to hate cats. Oh well...."

I've no idea what reminded me of this story but thinking about it even now, years later, poor Dottys letter still makes me laugh so I thought I'd share.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home