Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Angry bosses

I had to come back from Manchester last night because I had a meeting first thing this morning. It was a meeting with 6 pissed off bosses who really had no reason to be upset.

I really enjoyed it. I know our software works and that if they had problems it was because they weren't using it properly. I wish the meeting had been videod because the change in tide was amazing. At the start they were all cocky and sniggering to each other that I'd probably give them refunds because of their issues.

I began by going around the table and asking each person what their problem was and making careful notes on my notepad.

I then successfully demonstrated the software doing each of the things they'd claimed didn't work. Each time I was successful I'd make a belittling remark about the person who'd claimed it to be a problem. Eg:

Angry Boss #1: "Your software can't add up totals on a monthly basis!"

Me: "I'm sure it does that you know, let's see....."[Types in some figures, presses a button labeled "Print monthly totals", software displays correct results]

Angry Boss #1: [looks embarrassed] "Oh. I'm sure it didn't work like that when I last looked"

Me: "Well, the software obviously works, but it was a little tricky to click that button that says 'Print Monthly Totals'...I know! I'll ask our development team to make the button bigger and give it a more obvious caption. Do you think that would resolve your issue?"

Angry Boss #1: [Looking v. embarrassed]"Ummm, I think it's probably ok the way it is...."

I can be a sarcastic sod when I need to be. Sometimes I feel guilty about it. Most of the time I'm just a smug arsehole....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home