Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Don't put your rubbish in that bin, it's illegal. And what's Idiosyncrasy?


While I was looking for a crappy joke/illusion to put here I stumbled across a website which then kept me occupied for way too long. It's wicked good, full of illusions and stuff. Click here to take a look

My day started with a confrontation. Nothing serious, just a real "jobsworth" prick who had nothing better to do than piss me off:

It was a beautiful morning so I stopped at a clifftop to admire the view. I reflected upon the stark contrast of the beach, licked clean by the gentle waves and the general filth and untidiness within my car.

There was a bin just 20m away so I decided to throw out some of the rubbish rolling around on the floor. It accumulates because I hate littering/litterers.

There was an empty carrier bag amongst the debris so I put in two empty water bottles, two empty "diet coke" bottles and a sandwich wrapper. Not big bottles, just standard 500ml ones.

I walked over to the bin only to discover it was one of those letter-box style ones which have a really tiny opening, just about big enough to insert a packet of Rizla. I was relaxed and enjoying the view / fresh air so I didn't let something so stupid annoy me. I simply undone the carrier bag and began posting the rubbish in carefully, one piece at a time.

Suddenly I feel a tap on my shoulder and a gruff interpution. I jump around to see a council worker in day-glo green waistcoat glowering at me:

Bright-green-man: "That's a public bin, you can't use it."
Me: "Eh? What??"
BGM: "That bin is for public use. You can't put domestic rubbish in"
Me: "Eh?" [yeah, again, I was confused!] "What do you mean?!"
BGM: "You're dumping domestic rubbish in a public bin, that's not allowed"
Me: [is this guy serious?!] "But I'm just emptying a couple of things out of my car!"
BGM: "Forbidden. You should take domestic rubbish home and dispose of it in your home bin"
Me: "But it's a couple of bits of rubbish out of my car! Would you prefer I just lob them on the beach?!"
BGM: "Nope. You should take them home and put them in your home bin. I'm going to report you. Name please."
Me: "Name? Are you serious? drink bottles and sandwich wrapper?"
BGM: [get's all huffy and takes out notepad] "Disposing of domestic rubbish in a public bin is an offence. I need your name"
Me: "YOU CAN KISS MY ARSE SUNSHINE! There's my car - take my registration and report me to the f#cking police! Have a good day, twat...." [walks away, very huffily]

OK, don't tell me off, I know I didn't need to be quite so rude but honestly...

What is the bloody world coming to?!

The rest of the day passed pretty quietly, by comparison at least.

Can someone define idiosyncrasy for me?

I've just finished a phone conversation with LB and she can't. She knows what it means in her own head but can't explain it to me. Every example she gave resulted in me saying either:

a) That's a habit then?
b) You're admitting you're a weirdo then?

I just can't get my head around this. Everyone seems to be talking about them but to me it's reminiscent of "the emperors new clothes" parable. Everyone seems to be talking and discussing them but they all seem to be discussing freakish behaviour or habits.

Help me out here?!
Double take

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh gid! Wot a tozzer!

12:17 pm  
Blogger Jay said...

You're going to find this hard to believe, but there IS a law prohibiting the disposal of domestic waste in public bins. Someone was prosecuted recently because he received some junk mail in the post and binned it on his way out. They found it and nicked him.

It's bloody stupid, but there you have it.

6:40 pm  
Blogger Only me said...

anon: I agree!

Jay: I agree that people shouldn't empty their household bins into public ones, but seriously, lunch wrappings from my car?! I think the guy must have many things lacking in his life.

7:51 pm  
Blogger vuboq said...

I'm not understanding why people are so protective of the public bins. Does the trash go to different places? Does it involve some sort of complicated tax scenario in which people avoid paying their garbage taxes by using public bins?

Color me confused.

12:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This design is ωicκeԁ! Yоu сеrtainly κnоw how tо κеep a reader amused.
Between уоur wit and yοur videos, I waѕ almost moved
to start my own blog (well, almost...HаHa!
) Great job. I гeally loved what уοu had tо ѕay, anԁ
moгe thаn that, how you ρrеsented it.

Too cool!

my web blog :: carpet World

8:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

boοkmаrκеd!!, I lovе your blog!


Feеl fгeе to ѕurf to my homepаge; personal health insurance

1:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there to everу one, the cοntents ρresеnt at thіѕ ѕite
are іn fact amazing for peοple knoωlеԁgе, ωеll,
keер uρ thе nіce work
fellows.

Feеl free to ѵisit my page: buy hcg drops

7:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, i feel thаt i saw you ѵiѕited my blog so i came tο go back
the desire?.I am trуing to find things to imρrоve my web ѕite!
I asѕume its аdequate to make use of some of your сonceрts!
!

Αlsо viѕit my web blоg ... green coffee bеan еxtrаct sѵеtol
400mg ()

10:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

І јust cоuld nоt go away уouг ωeb ѕіte bеfore suggesting that I aсtuаlly loveԁ the standard informаtion
a perѕon pгovide for your guеsts?
Is gоnnа be аgaіn continuously tο investіgate cross-сheсk new posts

Lοok іnto my websіte car insurance quotes online

8:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home