Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Sunday, March 02, 2008

How cool is my dad?

A few bits of news for ya'll.

On Monday week the IT guy at one of our project sites is leaving. And to be an utter shit and cause maximum chaos his blaze of glory has been to issue an irretractable instruction to decomission an essential server here in Brisbane and have it's data relocated to North Australia.

The technical term for this is "Being an award worthy cunt".

And I've ended up with the task of making it happen. Fortunately, I like this kind of stuff. Anything is better than sitting in the office. Once I established that this server being out of action was going to cost us $1/4m every two hours I was given a limitless costcode with matching credit card. Mwah ha ha ha!

I now have 2 x 1Tb external HDD's sitting on my desk. I also have a pilot waiting to fly me to Gove in NT first thing on Friday morning. I'm going to make a full backup of the server on Wed night onto Drive 1. Then same on Thur night to Drive 2. Some people would call this "blatant increase of hours on timesheet for no real work". I call it "Safety in the form of reduntant backups". Although I think "Aaaah. Beer and smokos while waiting for a computer to do it's shit for 2.6 5 hours."

So at a cost of over $10k I take my private jet to North Aus on Friday morning. This is easily justified as the moment the last backup is made I'm throwing the switch and the site will be out of action. And at the afore mentioned $1/4 per 2 hours, it's in company interest to get it up and running again. Commercial airlines will take 9 hours to get me there. Mr Private Jet gets me there in 3.

And this brings me onto the title of this post. How cool is my dad?

I rang him tonight to update him of these things. And the conversation went:

Me: ".....So, there's ya update. Pretty cool eh?"

Dad: "It's just you on this plane?"

Me: "Yep. And the pilot of course"

Dad: "And you're meeting him in the departure lounge and he's just walking you out to the jet and off you go?"

Me: "Yep"

Dad: "You've got enough gifting of the gabbing to talk anyone into anything. Haven't you always wanted to fly a jet plane son?"

Me: [Eyes open in wonderment] "Ow Wow! I didn't even think of that! Wow! Dad! You're awesome!"

Dad: "Just let me know how it goes compared to your stupid fast car and my stupid fast bike. And see if you can arrange to let me have a go next time I'm over"

I loves my dad. Even if I have to go down on the pilot, being on a learjet isn't enough now, I wanna fly me a learjet. I live for claims to fames.




3 Comments:

Blogger Clio Bluestocking said...

Is "cunt" the reason that your blog not safe for children or the tender hearted?

12:54 pm  
Blogger Only me said...

clio: Ummm. That may be something to do with it. The tender hearted need toughening up - I'm providing a service here. Reading should be mandatory.

6:13 pm  
Blogger goblinbox said...

So did you go down on the pilot or not?

7:49 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home