Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Addiction and arrogance

I've fallen into a bad habit recently. I've been chatting to UK, Canadanian and US friends on M$ Messenger until silly o clock in the morning most days recently.

So I'm very tired. I've been getting by on about 4 / 5 hours sleep per night for the last couple of weeks. Some nights I've just gone straight through and back into work.

Tonight Messenger is fucked. You'd think I'd seize the opportunity to catch up on some sleep. But instead I sit here with an expression akin to Homer Simpson clicking the "Connect" button every 2 minutes or so.

I miss my friends :(

In other news, our company just won a mega deal, one of the biggest ever. Tomorrow I've got a 5 hour meeting with the client to discuss their database requirements. I initially declined the meeting request and boss came running through and said "You CAN'T decline! This is hugely important and for some reason he asked specifically to see you!" Oh my boss is such a people person

I mailed the guy back and said I could do 2 hours max as I'm busy. I copied the boss who came running out almost immediately and said "You can't DO that! He's the client! He's hugely important!"

Me: "So I get paid extra for staying late do I?"

Boss: "Well, no, but you know it's really important"

Me: "I'm a contractor. It's not really anything to do with me. I just do my hours, cos if I do more, even in my own weekend, you question why"

Boss: "Come into my office and close the door"

[do so - ready to give a proper serve]

Boss: "I didn't want to say this in front of the others, but I'm sorry. It's only recently been brought to my attention how much work you've been doing that I've been unaware of"

Me: [Thinks: Yeah, RIGHT] "And?"

Boss: "I'd really appreciate it if you would meet with this guy. He's tough and very arrogant. Please meet with him but you mustn't swear or lose your temper with him. I'm pleading with you hard here Jay"

Me: [Thinks: Arrogant? Tough? Oh baby!] "Ok mate. I'll do it. But I'm going to put 2 extra hours on timesheet to cover the hassle"

I'm really looking forward to it now. I've been warned by a few people since that he's a tough cookie, but that makes it all the more funner. There are two possible outcomes. I'll have him eating out of my palm or I'll fuck up a multi million dollar contract for my company.

Isn't it odd that they give this task to lil' ol' contractor me rather than a real employee such as my So Called Manager? Anyone would think I was more capable than him or something? Oh, and they've advertised a position for someone to assist me when I get back from Global Blogger Meetup. Does that mean they're planning to keep me a little longer I wonder?




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home