Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Meat free monday = veggie lasagna

In preparation for tomorrows meat free day (I confess, I'm meat free most of the time now. But not for any special reason. I'm just content with it and don't feel guilty about the odd steak or bacon sarny) I decided I'd have a go at the most predictable item on any veg menu - veg lasagna, and see if I could make a good one.

Normally when I fancy lasagna I just go for my (bloody good) meat one so I wondered if I could make a (bloody good) veg one. I went to my fave recipe site to search for ideas. I normally read and mentally note ten or so recipes and then go off and do my own thing from the ideas. Even though in this case it aint complicated.

But I did giggle when I came across this. Yummy:

1 onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 lg. can tomatoes
3 pkgs. chopped spinach, unfrozen and drained (shredded zucchini can be substituted)
6 eggs, hardboiled
1 pkg. wide lasagne noodles
3 pkgs. Mozzarella cheese, slices or shredded
1 can Marinara sauce

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large frying pan and saute lightly. Add spinach. Mix thoroughly. Layer the lasagne as follows:
1. vegetable mixture

2. uncooked lasagne noodles
3. hard boiled eggs
4. 1 pkg. Mozzarella cheese

Cover last layer of cheese with the Marinara sauce. Cover dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. This dish is great as a dinner for about 12 people. It is terrific for left overs. You can also substitute hamburger.

Is it just me, or is that just stupid? Isn't it missing any kind of texture veg?! It's fucking pasta with tomato and cheese. And it serves 12?! With great leftovers?

Now I know what umpa-lumpas, pixies and leprechauns eat.

Only "great leftovers" cos no cunt will eat it.

In my humble opinion that would serve 2/3 people with a bowl of slop. Please feel free to correct me but I think it's that sort of shit that makes lots of people thing vegetarian diet is crap. With that, it fucking would be.

And substitute hamburger for what?! Mad I tells ya, mad.... Sorry for any offense. Please don't report me for me opinions. Again.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Hmmm, I am a shit cook and I find being vege is awesome because pretty much any ingredients that I eat all go together, in some way or another. That lasagna recipe was obviously written by an unsympathetic omnivore... "Yeah, just tell them to chuck some veges together with some pasta and call it a vege lasagna, they won't know better"

You need to chuck in some mushrooms, because they are fantastic, a bunch of basil and some oregano, spinach AND zucchini, maybe even some pumpkin chopped up really little and some onion.

I strongly disagree with putting eggs in lasagna, it just sounds wrong. And a can of marinara sauce? Ew, that sounds feral and between the juice from the tomatoes and tomato paste, I reckon you'd be sweet.

Maybe also chuck in some wine, that can never be bad ;)

I am sure your version will turn out awesome, let us know how it goes!

7:56 pm  
Blogger Only me said...

d'jen: Feral? 'kin oath mate! I'm so happy that someone supported me so quickly!

Whoever wrote that must be the most unimaginative wanksplat ever.

I've planned finely diced potato, zucchini, finely diced capsicum, spinach, sliced cauli and mushroom as my veggie layer.

I will cook it in a tom/onion/garlic/oregano/thyme sauce first. For some reason I prefer the idea of thyme over basil. I rarely use basil unless I have some element of sweetness in a dish for it to compliment. (It may be nice to try sweet potato with basil next time)

It wouldn't be wrong, I just think I'll give it go with thyme first :)

And I'm gonna use one layer of lasagna verdi too. I'm drooling thinking about it. I'll let you know how it goes and if it flies you're welcome to come around at some point to try. You know where I live.

8:57 pm  
Blogger dykewife said...

that's hardly veg lasagne...

i make a thick tomato sauce (onions, garlic, tomato and spices, i also use eggplant, spinach mushrooms, three kinds of cheese (mozzarella, ricotta and parmissan) and at least 2 packages of noodles. i've also made a thick white sauce to stretch the cheese farther when we've been poor and couldn't afford it otherwise. i've also added chickpeas to the sauce and whizzed them in so that they're part of the sauce...extra protein.

for herbs i use sweet basil, thyme, marjoram, and rosemary. if i can i made the sauce the day before so that it can macerate (flavour blending)and become more savoury.

i also use green and/or red pepper. you can grill the peel off if you like, it makes the dish somewhat sweeter without hte skin.

i rarely use zucchini because it's nearly all liquid and will make the sauce watery. eggplant, salted to get out the bitter, rinsed off and then broiled for a shirt time (oh, it's sliced in about 1/4" thick slabs from tip to tip)...then i layer that over teh sauced noodles.

i've also had (but not made) veg lasagna that had corn, peas, carrots broccoli, and cauliflower. cheddar was one of the cheeses and it added a nice sharpness.

10:37 am  
Blogger dykewife said...

oh, the spinach is optional and i nearly always used fresh that's been lightly sauteed in butter and garlic.

10:37 am  
Blogger How do we know said...

its a badly written recipe, and where i live, eggs are not vegetarian!

6:16 pm  
Blogger goblinbox said...

Um, here:

My Veggie Lasagna Recipe

8:13 am  
Blogger Only me said...

Dyke, how, gobbo: Thank you!

6:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home