Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Friday, June 08, 2007

Birthday - Elaborated

The birthday has kinda dragged over two days. Yesterday the day started brilliantly with S saying she'd meet me from my bus stop and take me to work to avoid the work. I thought that was a lovely gesture as she doesn't generally start work until about an hour after me. I was even more shocked when I got in the car to discover she had provided two "mini birthday cakes" (delicious looking chocolate muffins) complete with candles!

I've not had a birthday cake for years! She took me to work and we just sat outside chatting for a bit. Then a mate from the UK called me who I've not seen for three years and wished me happy birthday! Wow!

S and I chatted a little more and then one of the guys that shares my office walked past us, gave a bemused smile into the car and said "Morning!" to us. I decided I'd better go in shortly after before the rumour mill got into full swing. Almost as soon as I walked into the office the boss said "Ooooh! Cake! Did you get back together with your gf?" How subtle!

I said I wasn't and glances were exchanged. I don't know whether it was a "What a boy slut" glance or a "Soppy fucker is! Look at him grinning" glance. A steady stream of people turned up at my office to drool at the muffins ask for help with lame Excel problems. At 3 I was shocked again. Boss turned up with a birthday cake for me and loads of people came to eat free cake wish me happy birthday.

It was a pretty cool work day too - plenty to do which always sways me from going for a kip. I got home and there was no note from the real estate telling me the result of the inspection. (That's why I've been busy in the evenings this week. The place has to be spotless for inspections) But I know they'd been. Cos the forms had gone. Mind you, so was the TV, all the white goods and my credit cards. And the real estator had carelessly broken one of my windows during her inspection.

And don't get me started about the muddy footprints she left. Size 11 - who'd imagine?

In the evening Trish came over by prior agreement and we went to eat at our fave restaurant. It was very relaxed and she was plainly glad to see I was happy. I didn't mention S but when I got an SMS just after dinner and couldn't help but laugh I think she instantly thought "He's seeing someone" cos lot's of girlies have habit of jumping to conclusions and she's one of them. But she was still fine.

I walked her to the taxi rank and saw her away. She gave me a bday card which is really nice. It's the first card I've ever had from her. She doesn't believe in them whereas I prefer cards over pressies. She knows I look for ones with decent verses, and she'd spent 2 hours looking for this one. It shows. I'll type it out for y'all later - right now I'm happy and reading it might make me a bit thinky.

After that I came home and spoke to S online. She told me the muffins were homemade! I was deeply shocked, I'd just assumed they'd come from a bakery. She is such a sweety thoughtful girl I got a bit sad.

- ***** -

Today (Fri) I worked in the city (Yey! My fave office!). And to start the day of really well I got an SMS from boss saying he fancied a swim and wouldn't be in until after 9 - so don't bother turning up until after then. Yey! 2 hour lay in! I rocked up about 9.30 and spent the next 2 hours trying not to doze off. So tired. At 12.30 he asked whether I felt I'd achieved much during the morning. With a feeling of guilt but a look of indignation I declared I was proud of what I'd got done (True: I'd achieved not fully falling asleep....)

He said "Great! So have I. Lets go to the pub and celebrate your birthday and the long weekend eh?"

And that was it. Spent next 4 hours in pub with a couple of workmates getting pissy and breaking my diet (I had chicken salad).

For my first bday alone in a foreign country I can't complain. In fact, I'm beginning to wonder what I've missing out on for years! Cheers S, UK friends, Family, Trish, worky people (that don't read), and all of my lovely readers. You're all great and given me a truly happy two days. Enough in fact to combat the fact I'm now over 30. But I'm not going to dwell on that :(

3 Comments:

Blogger dykewife said...

over 30? yer a spring chicken!!

3:41 pm  
Blogger vuboq said...

The 30s have been my BEST DECADE (so far). I'm glad your birthday was awesome! Friday, I had a drink in your honor :-)

And several more just for the hell of it.

*hugs*

1:19 am  
Blogger Only me said...

dyko: And you're a sweety :)


vuboq: Thanks for the words of encouragement - so far it's been rocking. What was the drink - oh wait - stupid me - I shhouldn't need to ask should I?!

I like to think the "several more" were inspired by me too ;) (I can always say no to a drink - it's the second, third, fourth, etc that I have problems declining...)(!)

1:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home