Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Thursday, April 28, 2005

We've arrived in Germany


We've arrived in Cella, Germany. I'm here through work. Tomorrow I've got to go to an army barracks and train some teachers. I've been here before, more about that later.

I am filled with mixed emotions today. I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. Everything seems to make me laugh hysterically or fight the urge to cry. TT has packed her rucksack and although she's here with me now, she'll still be here on Sunday when I leave. Here begins her European journey.

I don't know when I'll be re-joining her. I'll certainly be with her for the long 6 week British school summer holiday, but that doesn't begin until mid July. And it's now April. I have a break in June so I hope I'll be able to catch up with her for a week then. No matter where she is in Europe it's a damn site closer than Australia. That thought is keeping me sane.

We nearly died today. As we were driving to Stansted airport a truck decided that it wanted to be in our lane of the motorway. Without indicating it simply moved over a lane. Not a gentle movement, but a sudden swerve into our lane. The only way I could avoid him was to swerve into the lane to my right.

Luckily, bearing in mind I drive over 80 000 miles per year, I'm quite a good driver. I have my advanced driving license and the best thing that taught me was "always know your escape routes" By that, they mean, always know how to avoid an obstacle ahead. I constantly check my rear view mirror and regularly challenge any passenger to try and catch me out. I always know what's behind me and what's to either side.

I also keep aware of the road barriers to both sides. If there is no way to swerve out of the way of an obsticle you need to know which side to ditch. Sometimes there is a metal barrier on one side while it may be a hedge on the other. Guess which is best?

Either way, in this instance I knew that the lane to my right was relatively empty although I knew there was a sports car approaching rapidly from behind. So I swerved and put my foot down. If I'd not put my foot dbtwown I would have caused him to brake sharply which may in turn have caused a seperate accident. It's amazing how quickly your brain can react in a split second isn't it?

TT naturally screamed. As I mentioned earlier, my emotions are running on a high and the thought that TT and I could have died as we were about to be parted for a couple of months made me think. My only option was to laugh lots or cry. TT later muttered that I was a nutter.

Btw, TT applied for her British passport as soon as she arrived in the UK. It turned up and although she'd brought it with her she forgot and presented her Aussie one at the airport. It took her over an hour to get into Germany and I just walked in. But she did get a stamp and I didn't of course. Bah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home