Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Monday, April 25, 2005

Waterfalls and a long drive


Having woken in Bangor we went for a little walk around the city. It's one of those places where it's difficult to believe it's really a city. It's so ickle and quaint! I then remembered the last time I was there my friend had taken me to a waterfall nearby. Again, it was one of those topical things because when TT and I had spoken about waterfalls in the past this was actually the one I'd described to her.

It's called Aber falls and it's just a few miles outside Bangor. You have to park your car about a mile from the falls and then walk through a pleasant valley to get there. TT doesn't like walking in the sun (That's good for an aussie isn't it?!) so we took an alternative route through some forest which was positively chilly.


The walk is well worth it. Aber falls is one of those places where you get there and wish you'd brought a picnic. I've been there twice now and thought the same thing both times. If I ever go back I'll make sure I pack some food and a rug. (Then it'll probably bloody rain...!)

We messed around in the pool at the bottom of the waterfall for a while and then had to hike back to the car to get back on the road. TT was certainly getting to see plenty of the country but the downside of that was that we had to spend so much time in the car. As we walked back TT told me what had been bothering her a couple of days before.

Work are sending me to Germany in a few days time, and TT is planning to use that to begin her tour of mainland Europe. So she'll be flying out with my but I'll be flying back alone. She's always said this trip was to see Europe rather than to be with me, but somehow that had never sunk in. And we're having such a good time I just thought she would wait until I could get a few weeks of work to go with her. I try not to let on how disappointed I feel but it's difficult to fill the silent gaps as we walk back to the car.

Work have made an appointment for me up near Newcastle tomorrow, which is right in the north of England. When we get back to the car I look at the long route from Wales to Newcastle. I know I'm going to be busy most of the day tomorrow so I wanted to stop somewhere that TT can occupy herself. Durham takes my eye, I've been there before and know it's another beautiful city. So that's what we do. We get in the car and drive up to Durham.

The 230 mile drive takes us about 4 hours and I check us into a hotel I've used before. In fact, the last time I stayed here there was a promotion on where you could get a free Guinness T-shirt for drinking 4 pints. I don't usually drink Guinness, but TT loves the stuff so around 6 months earlier I'd had a night of Guinness just to win the T-shirt for her which I'd promptly posted off to Australia.

It was odd to be in the same bar again, and this time with TT by my side. Unfortunately, she's very quiet again. At least now I know, or guess, it's about the Germany thing. If the idea of being apart is making her sad why doesn't she wait for me? How can I phrase that without making it sound as though I want to control her?

We have an early night because I'm still about 70 miles from the place I need to be at tomorrow and I'm due there at 9am. At least TT will be able to look around Durham which hopefully will cheer her up.

Woke: Bangor
Bed: Durham
Done: 240 miles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home