Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Monday, April 11, 2005

The first journey to do with work I've ever enjoyed

We layed in this morning. We were only at my home, so no reason to jump up and go exploring. I got up and walked down the street to buy some bacon and eggs to make tt a proper english breakfast.

On the way I passed my neighbour. He was the lovely old man kind enough to prepare us maps and directions and things to do in the Edinburgh area - including the castle just south, the highlights of the city, and the salmon ladder thing.

Unfortunately he's a smoker, and as I bumped into him I'd just been thinking "it's been about a week without a cigarette and it's easy, I could have given up years ago..."

But then, when he (not knowing I'd given up) offered me one, I was really tempted. And my thought was "Well, I've not wanted one, so i could take this to be social and then he wont give me a lecture about 'You don't need to give up smoking, etc...'" So I did. But then I lit it.

Don't curse me yet! The taste was foul. Simply didn't like it, and I've only been given up a week! I took two drags then dumped it. Cooking breakfast for tt was much more satisfying.

Then we had to head off. I needed to be at a customers down in the south of the country for an appointment at 9am on monday, so the only option was to drive down this afternoon.

When we got onto the M4 we decided we wanted a break and spotted a sign for a castle. We pulled over and went exploring. It turned out to be a hill. No actual castle left. We'd been had! On returning to the car I realised we weren't too far from Avebury and I'd been there once before so I decided to take tt there instead.

It's a great place, bit like stonehenge but more spread out and you can actually walk amongst the stones. They're all over the village. There are some pictures on this website . We did however notice an ominous absense of stones in the vicinity of the stone-built church though. Strange that eh?!
Unfortunately we couldn't stay long as we still had a long way to go.

The drive was fine (apart from one little mistake, eh tt?!), but once we got there we discovered the road we needed to take was closed.

We called the owners of the hotel about 10pm and didn't realise that the person giving us directions was verbally dyslexic. We wrote down, and double checked every direction she gave us, and we ended up fucking miles away. (Excuse me!)

Ended up arriving about 11pm. And they had the audasity to say "Oooh, you're late.." Bastards! The room had an odd feature, and one very nice touch:

1) HUGE sign on the window saying "Please do not let the cats in"
2) Couple of wine glasses, freshly poured, and the rest of the bottle in an ice bucket.

Unfortunately we're too tired for wine so we decided to get some sleep. I feel a guilty that tt will have nothing to do in the morning while I work, but I should only be busy for the morning. This place is very, very rural though, I hope I don't get lost finding the customer...

Woke: Place by sea (Home)
Bed: Nr Torrington
Done: 400 miles


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home