Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Saturday, April 30, 2005

Germany is still good. And I'm worrying about losing TT

This morning I was picked up by the same guy as yesterday. As I got into his car he informed me he'd booked a table in a restaurant for tt and I to join him and his French wife for a meal that evening. He's a nice bloke and all, and it's a very friendly gesture, but I thought he would have asked us first! TT hates meeting new people!

Rather than having her fret and be nervous about it all day I decided I wouldn't tell her until I got back in the afternoon. It sounded like a very nice restaurant but I couldn't help but think "Tonight is my penultimate night with TT - I'm going home on Sunday and she's going to be staying here. I want every moment possible alone with her..."

But that thought made me sad so I forced it to the back of my mind.

The training went ok. The school is really informal compared to a "normal" British school. The teachers can smoke so long as it's outside, so they're all stood around smoking by the doors. In the UK they are never allowed to smoke in sight of the students - quite often not on the school grounds at all.

The other unusual thing is that staff and visitors have lunch with the kids in the cafeteria. Lunch was suppressions good. Generally when I'm in a school and get offered lunch I turn it down but due to the informal surroundings I felt obliged to join the teachers on this occasion.

The teachers don't even get their own table, they simply sit wherever there's a space amongst the students. And the kids get on really well with the teachers. As soon as we sat down to kids started asking all about how the training was going and what life in the UK was like. It was a little odd. Especially since some of these 16yr olds were almost more travelled than I was! The daughter of some general had been to schools in Cyprus, Syria, Arizona, Brasil, Bahrain, UK and was now in Germany. Part of time she'd had a personal tutor as she was living on a Navy ship! Remarkable.

The meal in the evening was good. Again there was something slightly surreal about it as I was an English guy, having dinner with an Irishman, his French wife, my Australian girlfriend, in a Greek restaurant in Germany. Very multicultural!

They asked us about our plans for the weekend. We said we'd planned to go to Hanover tomorrow (Saturday) and they assured us it'd be great. They apologised that due to prior commitments they wouldn't be able to drive us (we hadn't even asked!) but they did offer to pick us up from the hotel and take us to the train station.

They then asked what we were doing on Sunday. That caused an awkward silence. For some reason I felt I just couldn't say "well, I'm flying back to the UK and TT is staying here" when they'd spent the last 2 hours saying what a wonderful couple we were and how they'd love us to come and stay with them again soon. So I just opted for "we're not sure yet". Then, to make a tricky situation worse he says "I'll take you to the airport. I know your flight is at 4pm so I'll pick you up at 2pm..." He wouldn't take no for an answer. How am I going to explain lack of TT without it looking really odd?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home