Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Awwww.

I think everyone has times in their lives when they are touched by an act of kindness or selfless action.

One such time for me was in 1992 when I had to make a trip from Southampton University, UK, to my home town by train. As I stood in the queue waiting to buy my ticket I got chatting to the woman behind me in the line. When I approached the booth I discovered the ticket was about 5GBP more than I'd expected it to be.

Luckily, despite being a very poor student, I had just enough money to buy the ticket. But it left me penniless. An hour later, while still waiting for the train I bumped into the same lady I'd been speaking to in the queue. I told her about the ticket price rise and we chatted until my train arrived. As I got up to board she said "I'm really pleased to have met you" and shook my hand.

As she shook my hand she forced 20GBP into it. I started to object and she just said "GO! PLEASE!" So I did. And I could buy a sandwich on the train. And get a bus from my destination to my home. I'll never forget that lady.

She taught me more in that afternoon than any educational establishment ever could. She taught me the importance of compassion. A lesson I've never, and never will forget.

Tomorrow I'll tell you what's inspired this, but in the mean time, get thinking. I'd like to hear some of your stories. When have you been made to feel really good by the decent side of human nature?

It's a happy time of year, lets share some good, heart-warming news....


2 Comments:

Blogger Two Cents said...

You are such a saptastic sook hehe...

What a great post luv :)

Cheers!!

7:13 am  
Blogger Only me said...

Two "oh my!" cents: I'm a soppy sook when it comes down to it. You never need worry about me sending rude sms's. Oh wait. he he he. You're great fun.

12:05 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home