Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Brother and sisterly love

We have a tradition in my family. Every year my sister and I have a sunflower growing contest. When I lived in the UK neither my sis nor I had gardens so each year we used to fight over the best spot in our mums garden, buy our own seeds and then urge our flowers and employ and fair tactic to try and grow the tallest.

Last year I of course moved to Aus so we skipped a year. However, this June a small package arrived in my mail box. If was a packet of sunflower seeds from the UK. And get this, they were Hybrid GIANT ones! The writing on the packet said to expect all plants in excess of 180cm. Whoo hoo! And I figured I also had the benefit of the Australian sun - even though it's winter here it's about the same temperature as the UK and much sunnier.

I bought a planter, soil, the best fertiliser and plant food I could find and basked around waiting for glory. Each time I spoke to a member of my family they asked how the seeds were going and I proudly and truthfully told them they were going great. Then of course it was time to visit the UK. I entrusted my sunflowers into the care of my most green fingered neighbour who promised to care for them.

When I returned to Australia, imagine my shock to discover what my devious sister had done. My wonderful sunflower was still strong and healthy, but it was beginning to flower! My sister had bought giant sunflower seeds but she'd also bought dwarf sunflower seeds and switched the contents of the packets.

It's still done quite well for a dwarf variety, but the second flower is about to open and it's reached approximately 100cm.

You may think that's amusing, but I'm having the last laugh. Family are all in the UK, not here. They have only my word for the progress so now I understand why she was so shocked to hear about the growth. And I'm continuing to spin this to darling sis. I just sent her an SMS telling her my best plant is now too tall for me to measure.

Soon they're gonna ask for photographic evidence, but I figure this will help.



3 Comments:

Blogger vuboq said...

Ha! What a great story! I think I love your sister. I'm sure you can fake the measurement if you need to.

5:48 am  
Blogger goblinbox said...

I used to try to grow giant pumpkins by feeding them milk. I'd read about it in some book, maybe Little House on the Prairie or something. You'd put a saucer of milk in the garden, and then cut a slit in a vine, and then put a cotton string in the vine and the other end in the bowl, and the plant would suck up the milk.

I never grew anything THAT big, but it was exciting and kept me occupied.

12:11 pm  
Blogger Only me said...

Mr Vuboq: Aaaw, thanks! I'll send my sister your photo. Oh wait-you're gay. Oh wait{He's quite attractive, quite intelligent, she'll like...} YEAH! I'll send her your photo! Te he he he! You know I only jest matey

goblinbox: Ummm, so you kinda anti-milked your pumpkins? They were like reverse cows? Did they stand up when it was going to rain? Sorry, I'm in my pom humour tonight.

12:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home