Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Friday, April 13, 2007

Just call me green fingers...

As many of you will already know, I love cooking. And herbs / spices tend to feature quite prominently in most of my creations. Although I buy spices in bulk from Indian grocery stores I seem to be forever running out of herbs.

So on Saturday I bough some packets of seeds. I bought thyme, rosemary, sweet basil and marjoram. I would have bought more but that's all the shop had. I also purchased a small bag of potting compost and a trowel. I felt so ripped off buying the compost. The 5l bag cost $3.99 whereas the 25l bag costs $4.50. Unfortunately we were getting the bus home so I had to go with the lighter bag.

Anyways, we got back and I chose a small area of our mini rain forest and scraped away the bark chippings with my trowel. I then watered the soil, scattered my seeds and poured the contents of the potting compost over the top. I don't think that's the way it should be done but it saved digging holes.

The seed packets said that seedlings should emerge with 12 - 14 days.
I've been lovingly watering the cultivated patch every day since. And guess what I spotted this morning? Seedlings! Today! A mere 6 days after planting! There are only two possible explanations:

a) I'm an expert gardener
b) I bought super seeds

I think b is probably more likely since every plant I've ever owned in the past has tragically died within days of being in my care. Hence I'm not going to count my herbs until they're ready for harvesting...


1 Comments:

Blogger vuboq said...

I'm growing herbs too. In my windowsill.

So far not all of them have died! YAY!

10:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home