Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Saturday, May 12, 2007

I can do art...

It's been a great day - I met with S again. We went to the art gallery. I was really impressed - not only was it worth seeing, but it was also free. Values!

A lot of the pieces were modern, or "contemporary". To me that's usually synonymous with "Bollocks" but in this instance I was certainly proved wrong. I really enjoyed spending a few hours wandering around.

The only time I was a bit peeved was when I turned a corner and saw a stunning piece of art - it was a monochrome in blood red - extremely striking. I was momentarily stunned into silence. As you can imagine this doesn't happen often - my mouth is generally set to "auto-fire". My stunned silence is haunting me still because S turned to me and said "Isn't that awesome?"

That made me feel shit. Why? Because I loved it. And to just reply lamely "Yeah" made me seem a complete deadbeat. I felt as though I was just agreeing for agreements sake. And that SO wasn't the case. I wanted to go back and look at it again but for some reason I couldn't. I thought it would look odd. Yeah, I'm weird.

When we were done there we headed back to my place and just chilled for a while. I hugged S and felt so content. She headed home and we spent the rest of the evening chatting on line. It's so wonderful to have a friend again. I know it sounds odd, but other than Internet people I've had no friends since I left the UK. To be able to hug and talk is amazing.


1 Comments:

Blogger em nadim said...

congrats on a new real friend and a pleasant modern art tour! the first time i decided that i like modern paintaings was a trip to MoMa (in NY). But the first time I appreciated modern studio art was during my first trip to Australia.. of course that was only after i received lots of explanations from an artist friend.

12:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home