Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Another day, another country

This was another boring day. We spent most of it on the bus headed for Bolivia. One of the girls on the bus felt sick so we pulled over. After five minutes of boredom sat on the bus waiting I kind of forgot she was out there and began to scan out of the window. Just in time to see her to a bright yellow projectile vomit towards the bus. Mmmmm. I'm so glad I looked out at that moment. Really.

We then arrived at the border to Bolivia and Blokey started to get stressed. He always gets stressed at things like check-in time and tour departure time. Dunno why, we're a fairly punctual and easy going group.

The crossing took about an hour. We changed our money but one bloke had a drama. He'd been unlucky enough to pick up a fake 100sol note. He tried three exchange places but no one would change it. I felt really sorry for him as he was pretty hope(help)less so I gave him genuine notes to replace it. I walked down the street, bought a bottle of cola with it and then changed the remainder. I have no scruples.

We went to some pre-inca ruins and we managed to get the most boring guide in the world. I thought we'd left him on the Inca trail but I guess he has a Bolivian brother. We went to this really cool place which had loads of carved stone faces. I can't wait to show you the photo of one of them - but I'm worried we may get hunted down and killed for desecration. You'll have to wait and see what I mean.

We arrived in Bolivia and La Paz certainly lives up to everything the guide book says. It's rammed with crime. Blokey took us on a walkabout tour when we'd checked into our hotel. Within 5 minutes TT had been the victim of attempted pick-pocketing 3 times.

The grossest technique is the spitting one. Someone will spit at you for no reason. It's meant as a distraction. You're supposed to get so enraged that you turn around to have a go at the spitter. At that point his or her accomplace grabs the stuff from your pockets and legs away.

It didn't work with us. No one spits at TT and gets away with it. Their primary error was expecting her to be the one that turned around. Fools.

We went out for dinner and it was great. It was a kind of cabaret place so they showed us all the local dancing and stuff. The local drink is some sort of vodka that's stored and served from massive glass barrels. With a pickled python inside. Yum. I drank snake juice. The small glass I had tasted totally minging so my thought is that the snake shit itself when it realised what the future held for it and I was unlucky enough to get that bit.

Everyone was knackered so they all headed back to the hotel after. TT and I weren't so we went out with Blokey and Paul. A good time was had....



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home