Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Friday, March 16, 2007

Reeds float. Thankfully for some people...

After a really decent sleep in the mud huts of the indians we were woken by room service. Honestly! The woman/wife person brought us breakfast in bed. It was pancakes and syrup.

She then walked us back to the harbour to rejoin our group. We took the boat to the group of reed islands. They were stunning. The idea of people living on islands made of floating reeds?! The biggest island has 14 houses on. The one we visited had 5. Until a week ago it had 6 but the other family got pissed off over an argument about the possession of a chicken. They cut off their bit of the island and paddled away. Apparently. In my opinion they're probably wearing the ancient version of lead underpants and not straying far from the bottom of lake Titicaca. But who am I to judge? (They so are though, innit?)

After looking around the island we got on a big boat paddled by a husband/wife team. Bearing in mind it was carrying 30 people the vessel went bloody quick. We went to the island that had a floating school.

I don't think I've ever mentioned my past on this blog but I used to visit 100's of schools all over the world. This one was no different. Honestly! In a place where the kids live on floating islands and have to get paddled to the nearest optional school you'd think things would be a little relaxed. Nope. They were 5 years old and speaking three languages pretty fluently. They knew all about the states of US, the countries of Europe and the fact that Aus has Kangaroos and wallabies. I don't think I knew that much at 5!

The floating school had a pot for donations and while everyone else put in some loose change I put in two folded notes which I'm sure will help the teacher find an assistant. It would have only worked out to about $20 Aus but over there I'm positive that would be a few months of salary. I hope so anyway.

After that we reboarded the boat and headed to Pisco for the rest of the day. TT was ill and just wanted to sleep. I went out and ended up in a bar. I got chatted up by the bar tender and then by another traveller. She was from Yorkshire and travelling on her own. She assumed I was alone too. She wanted to fuck me. She was pretty desperate (you'd have to be eh?) but I politely declined. Have you ever met a Yorkshire chick?!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home