Triple take

Random ramblings of a British guy that's moved to Australia. And now back to UK.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Cuzco: Making the locals cry

Peru is great for haggling. I love haggling because I always perform one simple check before I begin: Make sure someone else is selling the good you're after. This gives you the ultimate weapon - the ability to walk away and buy it from someone else without losing face. If the seller has something you really want and you can't get it anywhere else then they have you over a barrel. No one wants that.

Here's my guide to haggling like a bastard:
Pool together with friends when you're about to buy stuff. It's easier to get big savings on $100 rather than 4 separate purchases of $25.

Ask the price and then look horrified or laugh whatever their answer. Shake your head lots and offer half.

Their turn to laugh. While they try to explain why your offer is too low smile like an idiot the whole time. Occasionally nod, grin broadly and then repeat your offer.

If they get really angry consider going up by the tiniest amount possible. If their offer was 100 and I've already offered 50 then I'd go to 55.

If they still look angry, start counting your money slowly in front of them. The site of notes softens them hugely.

Keep repeating your offer. If they are still not capitulating then slowly count money back into your wallet. Leave the shop/stall very slowly to give them a chance to stop you from leaving. If they don't then they really cannot afford to do it for that price so offer the next guy a little more.

I'm good at haggling. I've left a trail of almost crying broken Peruvians around Cuzco today. I do have some lovely souvenirs though...

In other news, Mo (remember?) bumped into us in the market and told us for ten minutes how lovely the mango's were...



2 Comments:

Blogger vuboq said...

I need to take you shopping with me. I'm awful at haggling. I'm traveling with you next time, mister!

11:00 pm  
Blogger Only me said...

Mate, my favourite was a painting. I really liked it and it broke my own rule because it was for sale by the artist and hence not available anywhere else.

He wanted 75 for it. I really wanted it and I would have paid that but I offered 10 because I wanted it to be a decent haggle.

He choked but almost immediately dropped the price to 50. I went up to 20. After that I had the closure price in my mind at 30. He offered 40 without the frame.

I told him I wanted the frame too and he agreed after a while. I then told him it was too expensive and he looked horrified that after all his arguing he was going to lose a sale.

We settled on 30.

That was the only one I felt guilty about since he was a very talented artist. And I love the picture. Still, hopefully he's learnt an important lesson - "Don't undervalue yourself"....

10:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home